Replacing top of chimney and liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I have to replace the top few feet of my 18 foot chimney. Everything above the roofline is rotton. The rest looks very good. It has 3 8X12 tarra cotta liners. It is going to be a tight fit to run 6 inch ss liner down it. Impossible if I want to insulate it (I have some doubts about the mortor that joins the liners to each other)

Would it make sense to ovalize the liner and then insulate it?
Or should I remove the terra Cotta liner, insulate the ss liner and leave it round?

What would be the safest option?

Rob

You could either bust out all the Terra Cotta and use a round insulated liner. Or you could use Simpson DuraLiner rigid oval liner, which is a double wall chimney liner with insulation built it. We lined 3 chimneys last year that were the 8x12 tiles and it fits great.

Status
Not open for further replies.