Replacing Wood Stove, do I need a permit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandition

Jan 24, 2011
Washington State
Hi everyone, I'm new, but I have been reading the forums here for a while because it's just so informative. Here's my question:

I have been in my house 6 years and have pulled out the old wood stove and replaced with a new stove and double-wall pipe, husband's DIY.
Do I need a permit for this? Also, is there a way I can check on the existing permit from the original stove install?

Thank you :)

Welcome. I can't back this up with any facts, but I would guess that the majority of stove installations, unless new or remodel construction, are not permitted here. That said, yes, I suspect you are supposed to get it permitted, though I don't know all the county regs, there maybe exceptions. Be prepared for sticker shock if this is King County.

If there is a significant change, along with a possible permit you may need to contact your insurance agency also.

Considering this is a replacement stove I would be squeaky sure I did an excellent job following or exceeding all mfg requirements and clearances and let sleeping dogs lie.

FWIW, our KC permit was a joke. The inspector barely looked at the stove on his way down to checking the heatpump installation. Signed off on both. I trust my own inspection much more.

Glad I live where I do here in good ol Pennsyltucky. Never even heard of anyone needing a permit

It all depends upon the township. Personally, I have never got a permit for any of our stoves and I've installed all of them. One time the insurance company did require me to put in a false wall for a 1" dead air space and that was all.

in the township we live in (Ham Wentworth) permits are required and we have to produce a wett inspection to finial it. another proplem in ontario was they sent the permit to the assesmsnt office and our property taxes went up because of the fireplace. to boot the cost of the permit was $350 dollars. Next time i would gamble and install the stove in accordance to specs and forget the cash grabin township

timlynne said:
Glad I live where I do here in good ol Pennsyltucky. Never even heard of anyone needing a permit

Here in Halfmoon Twp, near State College, PA, we have pretty minimal township regulations for most things, but I did need a permit to install a wood stove. I think it was $25 and required an inspection after installation. I also notified my home owner's insurance company, which I feel was far more important than notifying the township. If the township doesn't know about my stove it doesn't make any difference, but if the insurance company doesn't know it could be a very big problem if the house burns down and I want them to replace it.

Permeets? We don't need no stinkin' permeets...! So is Kings Co. a high-price permit area? CA was the same - anything (changing a light fixture!) needed a permit, and it could cost a lot more than the project itself. Good luck with it though... just make sure to follow specs.

You "need" a permit where I am. However, my installer didnt care, and I didnt even think about needing a permit (its an insert in an existing fireplace)! (did you know some places require a permit for dry wall work, or "any" plumbing... talk about stupid).

I did call to tell my insurance agent, they didnt care, but noted it in my file so I am good to go.

You should do the first, it is a "requirement" not all "requirements" are followed.
You REALLY should do the second, just for your own protection.

Wow, I see all these post about permits for old to new stoves and chimney liners. How would anyone ever know you remodeled your hearth and put in a diff stove. If you ask me you are most likely opening up a can of worms. Heck I built my new shop without a permit, kinda nervous at first but nothing was ever said

No permits required here. For the most part what you do on your land the borough gov doesn't care about... well other than meth labs and what not.

Save the money the township will ream you in the permit, and put it towards going the extra mile and overkill on the install.
Permits are for those that can afford it, and pay someone else to do the job.
Just another way for big brother to justify dipping his hands into your pockets deeper.

Reactions: flashback58
Status
Not open for further replies.