Replacing wood stove may have too small of hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegbert

Feeling the Heat
Sep 15, 2016
Arlington Wa
Hello everyone new member here both in here and to wood burning. We recently bought a place that has a freestanding stove and masonry fireplace. Originally we were going to run pellet stove but this area experiences power outages and with being baseboard heating too I don't want to be left in the cold.

Anyway the free standing stove has a brick hearth and of course the fireplace is too close to the carpet but good thing is this one was built in 1980 and seems to be missing parts and some broken pieces so I want to start over. It is 3 feet from the back brick to the carpet and about 5-6 wide. With brick up the walls. Question is am I going to have to redo or replace this hearth to put in a new wood stove? How about the chimney? Anyway to tell what kind of material or pipe it is and if it is up to current codes? Being the stove was built in 80 I assume the pipe is about the same age. 9afc504ba8b9e651cdafa6df931bf985.jpgbad0c3d5380449fc7a7ac46e8f3e793f.jpg

Travis

You may be able to find a top or side loader that will work. I suspect you'll be designing a new hearth though.

You could look for a side loading stove that will fit. Jotul Rangeley or Woodstock Fireview are a few that come to mind, but many more out there.

I would have a local sweep come and take a look at the setup to see its condition before moving forward, surprised that wasn't part of the home inspection.

I think you will have to replace that stove anyway in WA due to it not being EPA certified, don't think the grandfather clause is applicable if the home sells.

It was apart of the home inspection report but only saying the hearth is non conforming that it doesn't extend 16" past the door. Nothing about epa certified or what not. Originally we were not going to use wood heat the wife just liked the looks of the area but we have since changed our minds and are going to try and use wood. Just need to stop by a place and have them come inspect it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far it is much appreciated.

Travis

Jotul F600 loads on the right side. I would still at least put a hearth protector board in front. It could be removed in summer.

Well we had a lopi rockport installed yesterday and am pleased with it so far. Have a hearth extension on its way too so we can start using hopefully Friday.

Travis

c870e4fc991a2e5e01db3020413de766.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: firefighterjake
Great looking stove

Reactions: Tegbert
Fwiiw.. brick offers little insulation( unless there is an air gap behind it)... good spark protection..poor insulation

The wood under the stove could be charing ( unless there is additional insulation)

Any way to check?

Fwiiw.. brick offers little insulation( unless there is an air gap behind it)... good spark protection..poor insulation

The wood under the stove could be charing ( unless there is additional insulation)

Any way to check?

Not sure about the old one but this one specifies this in the manual. "Floor protection must be non-combustible and at least .018” (.45mm) thick (26 gauge) – no thermal protection required (R=0)"

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.