Report in safely please thread.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawaii sure sounds nice right about now.

Hawaii has earthquakes, cyclones, volcanoes, tsunami, and huge centipedes. About a month after I moved that I was hanging out with another recently transplanted pal and we came across a line in a book that said something like "the Hawaiian islands are susceptible to more natural disasters than anyplace on earth." We then looked a bit like this
_g:eek:

I don't like bad storms. I also would not like earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and especially not huge centipedes. Are centipedes considered natural disasters too? Okay. Never mind. I can go with that. Yuck!

There are lots of islands. Kwaii is the oldest I think with no volcanic activity and little earthquake activity. Most of that is on the big island. Tsunamis would be my greatest concern. I'll take the centipedes over snakes. In a pinch they could be dinner.

Reactions: milleo and Gasifier
Most volcanic activity and earthquakes are on the big island. Older islands like Kauai are pretty stable. Tsunamis would be my main concern. I'll take the centipedes instead of snakes, though I haven't seen them yet. Will look later this month. In a pinch they could be dinner. :cool:

There are lots of islands. Kauai is the oldest I think with no volcanic activity and little earthquake activity. Most of that is on the big island. Tsunamis would be my greatest concern. I'll take the centipedes over snakes. In a pinch they could be dinner.

Oh yea, I guess the bigger the better then. Protein right? Taste like chicken. As Timone would say! I have heard snake is good too. Not. I don't mind a nice rain storm or snow storm. I actually kind of like them. As long as they don't do much damage.

I'm Alive!

We still have no power and this is my first night back to work/opportunity to check in. Unfortunately I have a "stupid" phone and lousy service without my booster box. (Internet dependent) I have a great generator setup so everyone is warm (thanks to the stove!) and well fed. Doing everything I can to help the neighbors clean up the downed trees, get cranky generators rolling, etc. Went to visit a friend today and brought a 2" trash pump and 5K generator with me. ;) My service trailer has extension cords running out of it keeping the neighbors fridge/freezer cold and some lights on at night.

Prolly have 3+ cords of fresh Red Oak to cut up within 500' of my driveway. ::-) Not even a stick down on my property however. :oops:

We got some pretty impressive winds but little rain. (under 1.5") Thankfully because we sure could do without the flooding heavy rains would have surely brought.

Sounds like you made it thru with no damage.
Bet the neighbors are glad they have a "master mechanic" as a neighbor
when events like this happen ;)
You are a "Good neighbor"!

3 cords of Oak to be your reward, sweet.

Glad you & family are warm & dry.
Good preparation on your part is paying off for you & others :)

I'm Alive!

We still have no power and this is my first night back to work/opportunity to check in. Unfortunately I have a "stupid" phone and lousy service without my booster box. (Internet dependent) I have a great generator setup so everyone is warm (thanks to the stove!) and well fed. Doing everything I can to help the neighbors clean up the downed trees, get cranky generators rolling, etc. Went to visit a friend today and brought a 2" trash pump and 5K generator with me. ;) My service trailer has extension cords running out of it keeping the neighbors fridge/freezer cold and some lights on at night.

Prolly have 3+ cords of fresh Red Oak to cut up within 500' of my driveway. ::-) Not even a stick down on my property however. :oops:

We got some pretty impressive winds but little rain. (under 1.5") Thankfully because we sure could do without the flooding heavy rains would have surely brought.

Great to hear MasterMech! Great to hear. Hope all goes well for you over the time it takes to get power back and things to get back to normal. Way to be prepared. And all that help you are giving..... What comes around, goes around. Good man.

We got hit hard no power since midnight....thousands w/o power here. We don't have a genny either...stay safe!

Gamma. How are you folks making out? Everything okay? Besides the P.I.A. of no power.

Oops. Forgot you got power back. Didn't you?

Still some here w/o power. Thankfully we were w/o only about 15 hours. I was quite impressed it came back on when it did. They were warning people it could have been out for up to two weeks. That woulda blew bigtime.

... Bet the neighbors are glad they have a "master mechanic" as a neighbor
when events like this happen ;)

Sure is a lot noisier in the neighborhood during power outages since I moved in ... ;lol;)

Power was restored to my home at about 8pm tonight. Still many here in my development that are dark, but hopefully they will have the lines repaired tomorrow for them.

Reactions: Gasifier
Sure is a lot noisier in the neighborhood during power outages since I moved in ... ;lol;)

Power was restored to my home at about 8pm tonight. Still many here in my development that are dark, but hopefully they will have the lines repaired tomorrow for them.

Glad to here that for ya MasterMech. Stay safe and warm.

Here and still no power. None expected until Thursday next week. Lost of trees down, limited road access still. No school for the kids. Gas lines are 30 minutes off peak too. We have the generator and use it sparingly. It gets us water and coffee! Wood stove and wood pile are priceless with temps from 40-54 since the storm. Trying desperately to get the backhoe running to help clear the debris, but appears to have a bad starter. Just can't spin the old diesel fast enough. That is the task of the day. Yesterday was cutting up the 85 ft white pine that uprooted. Today, after I get the starter off, I may try and cut up the 75 foot blue spruce that uprooted in the front yard.

Trying desperately to get the backhoe running to help clear the debris, but appears to have a bad starter

Even if you think the battery(s) are good, try and jumper cable up another vehicle. Give it every available amp it can draw.

Even if you think the battery(s) are good, try and jumper cable up another vehicle. Give it every available amp it can draw.
1.21 gigawatts and 88mph will get you to 1965!

Just can't spin the old diesel fast enough.

Change the oil. If it's got 15W40 in it, pick up some 5W40 synthetic. Will make a world of difference in cold temps, especially with big iron. And no, the 5W40 will not hurt it either.

Just saw this. Ok in the Lower Hudson Valley. No power expected until NEXT friday. Genny doing great, but gas is getting hard to find around here. The Hudson surged about 10 feet and did some major damage to the low areas. trees and power lines down every where! Just a bunch of leaves and small branches on the lawn and one piece of vinyl siding fell off the house.

Oh, that is definitely not good. Sounds like a gas run to upstate or CT.

The tankers are coming back in through the debris. Should be gas available soon. Question is do the stations have power to pump it?

I got a message from InfinityMike. He said he is okay! ::-):);lol;lol;lol He sent me an e-mail, but it must have went to my work e-mail so I do not have specifics. I will go there and read it in the morning and update you. ;lol:cool: I hope things go well in the recovery for you Mike! Hang in there man!!!!!!!!!

I got a message from InfinityMike. He said he is okay! ::-):);lol;lol;lol He sent me an e-mail, but it must have went to my work e-mail so I do not have specifics. I will go there and read it in the morning and update you. ;lol:cool: I hope things go well in the recovery for you Mike! Hang in there man!!!!!!!!!
He's probably ass-kicking busy feeding that Timberwolf trees.... ::-).

Kids back at school as of today. Wife happy. No power, wife ok. Hot stove with giant pot of hot water on top, everyone happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.