report on new Quadrafire 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arro222

Aug 2, 2013
RI
I've had this stove for about a week as this is a replacement for the cracked Quadrafire I previously had. There has been several discussions about the new 5700's not being as good as the old ones. Let me unequivocally state that this is very true…they are better. There was much intrepidation on my part to get this new one as there were so many grivences against it here at Hearth. I have come to the conclusion that problems were not the stoves fault but other just as important factors such as flue design and or wood quality.

It got to 28* at my place last night. I loaded the stove with oak and maple at 11:30 pm and it is still going strong at 9:30 am with 500* stove temp. I expect not to put in ay wood until 4 or 5 pm as outside temps will get into the mid to high 40's today. My installation is in an unfinished and uninsulated basement. The stove is heating 2600 sq feet that includes the basement, first floor and second floor. First floor is @ 68*. My home being a log home is pathetically insulated and rather drafty. The new a.c.c. (automatic combustion control) is working like a charm.

I have a new chimney that is lined with a 6" rigid pipe surrounded by poured perlite. I think this factor has been one of the major differences in why some of these stoves work and others fail their owners. I also have a hood on the stove ducted to the living room as I did my last one and this makes a world of difference. Its like having a hybrid "wood furnace" with the hood. The kicker of this is that this stove is doing this with less wood capacity. I can only fill this firebox with 6 chunks of wood where the last one I had I could put in 8 to 9 pieces ranging from 4" to 6" spitts. This new design in my opinion is head and shoulders above the old design and I am happy I took the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is worthless without pics ;)

Ya know you're right!. Any business selling these things could post here lavishing their product. When I tried, I was told an "error occured, picture too large for server" If someone can tell me how to shrink it so the server can handle it I'd be hapy to obilge.

Probably is agaist some code the government dreamd up to support local unions. I have a local rpresentative trying to pass a law that back yard chicken coops are to be out lawed for the average home owner citing health risks. Funny tha we have a very large egg producing business in town. Personally I doubt very little concern exists for the publics "well being" and more to do with who can make a buck that has ties to local government by restricting us more and more.

At any rate this old thread looks exactly how I have the new stove hooked up.

I think the bigger risk is that if something bad were to happen, it is a direct path for smoke and fire between floors.

Glad the new stove is working well. We hear more negative than positive about that one.

As if this couldn't happen w/o a hood. Perhaps we should just outlaw wood burning appliances all together. As far as natural selection: I'm all for that myself. Trouble is we just don't allow enough of it.

I think the bigger risk is that if something bad were to happen, it is a direct path for smoke and fire between floors.

Glad the new stove is working well. We hear more negative than positive about that one.
Thanks Jeff. Hopefully it ill continue working well once it gets real cold.

Not that you will change that setup, but 2 things I can think of that would help make it safer in case others read this thread and think it is a good idea as well.

1. Fusible link damper
2. CO/Smoke detectors in both locations.
I'm thinking the stove pipe is way more dangerous than the hood. If the stove was leaking co, it would find its way upstairs no matter what as I am using the stairwell as a cold air return so the upper curent is warm air from the stove.. I'm not sure anyone escapes co entirly if one is burning wood indoors. The trick is not getting enough in the house to kill you. I recall how sleepy I got on the couch when the old Timberline was upstairs in the living room. Just opening the stove door will get some into the house let alone a void in a pipe or weld. CO detectors are always a good idea.

Glad that the stove is working well. Ducting the stove with a hood and blower is in direct violation of code and voids the warranty. It is also warned against in the manual.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Glad that the stove is working well. Ducting the stove with a hood and blower is in direct violation of code and voids the warranty. It is also warned against in the manual.

View attachment 115706

There is no blower and the stove is not "connected" to anything. I am just gathering the naturally convected air coming off the top of the stove. I believe they are stating not to make a connection as a furnace would be directly connected to an array of duct work.

When in doubt ask the manufacturer.

When in doubt ask the manufacturer.

I have no doubt. The hood is a great idea for convective type stoves placed in an unfinished basement. I've done it both ways and there is no comparison in efficiency to get the heat upstairs for those unable or unwilling to place a convective wood stove within the main living space. I give two craps about the safety or code police sayijng otherwise. So question: If I have no doubt, does that make me an intelligent person with no doubt or am I automatically stupid?

Click on the jpeg attachment and wait a short bit until it downloads. I took this at 2 pm. The stove was last loaded at 11:30 pm the previous night. Stove temp is 400*

Attachments

• PA253359.jpg
    PA253359.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Agreed. There is plenty potential for problems there. If you want a safe furnace, buy a furnace. It will do a better job.

You know what would be helpful here; if one of you can explain to me or others who think it a good idea as to why a hood is so dangerous fitted the way I did? Also…mellow. Do not for one second tell me what to do in terms of coming on here an exalting the factor of a hooded wood stove. I am not "selling" the idea to anyone. Anyone, including you, can come to their own conclusions based on whatever principles or factoids they adhere to. Also your around the bend inference that I am not looking out for my family is a dirtball tactic. Maybe you get away with this crap elsewhere but please do not attempt to do so with me.

Last edited:
Go ahead and list them. I'll help fill in the blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.