reporting 12-17 hour burn times with a stove top over 400 degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
Sounds like according to Trump, draft makes all the difference in these stoves. Efficiency must be pretty high, I didn't see any efficiency or gph numbers on Harman's site, anybody know? Gota love that grill/rotisserie option.

The wife yelled at me today when she was dusting the house. Seems I've been accumilating alot of dust throughout the house from unloading ash from my stove. She's ready for a new stove with ash pan, I'll have to look into this TL300 more, but really don't want to give up my soapstone yet.

Harman claims 2 weeks of burning before you have to dump the ash pan, but i usually do not get 2 weeks cuz i do not run the stove continuously ,and some unburned charcoal goes into the pan on stirring the ash out.

I would put the efficiency pretty high cuz while the AB is burning smoke at 1500 deg just a few feet above on the stove pipe you can almost touch the pipe for a second, hot but certainly just a nowhwere near 1500 deg. ill put my therm there when i get a chance and get the exact temp.

I read somewhere that burning the smoke allows you to use 30% less wood to get the same amount of heat. i do not know how that affects your efficiency numbers though. But i do know that is 30% less sawing chopping,hauling,splitting,carrying and stacking.

One thing that effects the burn time is the amount of coals you have in the stove. If it is about 1/4-1/3 full you will be able to obtain extended burn times well over the 12 hour mark with stove top still above 400. Last week after loading the stove up to the gills with oak at 6:00AM getting it going, setting the air on 1, I got back to the stove 14 hours later the eco fan was still spinning and stove top was still above 350 and that was on around 4-5 inches bed. Now, if I was burning poplar on just a 2-3 inch bed of coals I would be luckily to get an 8 hour burn.

So allot of hot coals + dry hardwood + low setting + below 40 but not below zero temps = 12+ hour burns

When I got over 16 I had the stove over 1/3 full of hot coals, temp outside was between 30-40, loaded it with oak got the AB engaged and set it on 1.

The 12-17 hour burn times should be attainable. My Quad's box is 3.4 cu. ft. and I routinely see a 14 hour burn time with cherry. The stove top is well above 400* for most of the cycle. I'm sure oak would have better results.

Im trying to note my exact stove top temps instead of just guessing,just completed a 14 hour burn with 100% softwood ,stove topTemp at start of burn 400 after 14 hours stovetop was 200 with about 5 inches of charcoal left in stove. I am assuming with hardwood finish stove top temp would be 300+.

Remember ,If your not burning smoke ,your losing heat

Status
Not open for further replies.