Reporting on black smoke-ash buildup on glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I just tried a bag of Barefoot, started stove around 7am and turned off around 5pm.
The buildup did not show, just a very little smoke film on one side but the glass looks clear and NOT all black like when I used the Green Valley pellets......

The only thing (which I don't know if it is a problem or not) is the forming of some clumps in the burn pot, this happened before with the Eagle Valley pellets as well as with this Barefoot.

What I mean by clumps is that I scoope into the burn pot using a kitchen spoon and see this ash forming of some sort, is this normal?
Pellets seem to be burning all the way.

Any opinion?

I agree with packerfan, different brands will or won't give you clinkers. I had a small amount of clinkers with the Barefoots as well, but nothing that a daily clean of burnpot wouldn't handle.

I see that you guys have the Englander as I do, which pellets have given you best results overall, are you completely satisfied with Barefoot, what about New England and Turman?
This guy I purchased from in the weekend has Barefoot, Turman and Hamer's Hot Ones, all at same price of $224+delivery

I bought 2 of each but only had the chance to burn the Barefoot because I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and stove is off already, little warm here in CT.

All in all this other site has $205 all included for the New England......but I didn't get a chance to burn this brand....

I couldn't find any Hamers or NEWP in my area. I have tried about 1/2 dozen brands and the ones that burnt the hottest and cleanest were the Barefoot brand. This also held true for my Father's Whitfield and Avalon.

Status
Not open for further replies.