reprofile splitting maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisedwards132

Nov 8, 2013
CT
Over the summer I picked up an 8lb splitting maul at Harbor Freight. I knew it wasnt great but for a sale price of $10 I couldnt really say no. Well, its pretty terrible. The head is too wide and too blunt. Im not above just buying a better maul, but Im not a fan of throw away culture and I own an angle grinder...

So: Has anyone done this before? Have you reprofiled a splitting maul? Im thinking about taking material off the front to make it more concave and certainly giving it a more tapered cutting edge.

I mean hell, I cannot possibly make it worse than what it is now, but if youve done this before Id be interested in hearing your results.
photo.jpeg

I have a yellow handled 6# maul. It was pretty blunt when I got it and it seemed like it bounced off of green oak rounds, I took a 12" file to the "cutting edge", if you could call it that. It helped. Now when I swing it, it goes quite deep, often splitting things in one swing. much better than bouncing off.

Try working the edge. Like you said, you can't make it worse.

I got an 8 lb. maul two years ago that looked even worse than yours. It bounced off of any log bigger than 8 inches in diameter. Took it to the guy who sharpens my lawn mower blades, a 70+ year old gentleman who looks like he spent a lot of years swinging an ax, and told him, "Make this better." He used a grinding wheel on it, took off the 'shoulders' on the edge, and now it works fine.

Just a warning though - if you have too much taper, you will find that if the log doesn't split - you have a stuck maul.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good advice from all of you. Ill be conservative and only sharpen it up, making the cutting edge thinner and not reducing the wedge much. Ill post some photos and let you know how it went.

Thanks!

Reactions: Jags
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG Spent about 15 minutes with the grinder and just smoothed it all out. I now have a maul that works! Thanks for helping me resist the urge to totally reshape it, Ive been known to over engineer projects before... And Gerry100: Im working on my swing too:)

Status
Not open for further replies.