Repurposed brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
1631756793396.jpeg
Was curious to see how common it is for chimney to be built with sooty repurposed brick. This view is from attic space. We have had the chimney flashing repaired so no more leaking. Previous owners let the leaking go on for a while I think. Anyhow, I see some brick here and there that look like the could be sooty. A couple with a very thin sheen to them ( top left). The picture make them look blacker than they really are, which is more a grey color. I run an insert with an insulated liner. The insulation stops about 18 inches before liner top. The area in photo is about 3 feet or so down from top of liner. I don’t imagine that there’s much to do about this, but wanted to see what you guys thought about this. I’ll put up another picture with view from garage.

Repurposed brick?
View from garage