Repurposed Devices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
I was looking at the electric coffee maker this morning, and the thought came to mind: here is an electronic device with a clock, an on/off timer, a high amperage switching relay, and a temperature sensor. This could be re-purposed into a quite useful control for a variety of applications. If and when the heating element fails in this coffee maker, I'm not about to scrap it, but instead re-purpose the controller.

Any other devices that might be re-purposed for new applications?

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I repurposed my old pop top camper into a utility trailer when it got old rather than scrapping it.

The water solenoid out of a washing machine can be useful. When we were kids we set one up with a photoelectric switch to soak people when they bent over to pick up money.

I use my hatchet as a hammer and a large screwdriver as a chisel sometimes . . . that is about the extent of my mechanical know-how and ability. ;)

I've been trying to find a use for a surplus heavy-duty electric table saw motor. My life would be a lot easier if I could use it in some kind of pulley system to bring firewood up a steep slope, but ultimately it's probably not worth the effort.

I was looking at the electric coffee maker this morning, and the thought came to mind: here is an electronic device with a clock, an on/off timer, a high amperage switching relay, and a temperature sensor. This could be re-purposed into a quite useful control for a variety of applications. If and when the heating element fails in this coffee maker, I'm not about to scrap it, but instead re-purpose the controller.

Any other devices that might be re-purposed for new applications?

Jebatty, this could be a great post, thanks for starting it. I grew up in the 60's and 70's in a blue collar neighborhood in Ct. My father was a WWII vet who could do anything mechanical, carpentry, a skilled model builder etc. My neighbor was an auto mechanic and moonlighted as the local TV repair guy. I learned my way around tools and developed an affinity for things mechanical and electrical early on. In my neighborhood an old lawnmower and a bicycle turned into a mini bike, an appliance motor became part of a wood lathe etc. Imagine if we had things like Raspberry Pi, Arduino etc back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregbesia
Computer PSU switch will work as a kill switch. The OEM one is a metal plate that slides to make contact. They cost $15 for a little piece of metal/plastic - too much for a $60 saw.

Stihl011AVT_c.jpg

Reactions: Tom123
Reactions: Hasufel
I repurposed an old dishwasher into a snow thrower by buying her a shovel.

( I kid - I kid ;lol_g)

Last edited: