Repurposed firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

So we did a small cleanup job this morning, mostly all silver maple blowdowns and leaners. When the client came out and asked if we would cut him a bench out of one of the nicer logs so he could use it for his firepit. Oh, well. Heck it was only a couple billets' worth! Ripped a slab off of one side of a 7' log and made cradle notches in two of the billets for legs, voilla! :)

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-03-11_12-13-37_30.jpg
    Resampled_2012-03-11_12-13-37_30.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 662
  • Resampled_2012-03-11_12-13-56_93.jpg
    Resampled_2012-03-11_12-13-56_93.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 701
It's stuff like that, that can really make the job. That customer will be so happy your sure to get referrals. some times the
little extra can make them let other things go that they may of other wise not have. Like not so picky on clean up etc....
Nice job !!!

Looks like I'm not the only one with that idea. First one I did was Red Oak almost 25 yrs ago.It lasted maybe 15 before turning to compost. This one from White Oak last September 2011 should still be around when I retire or keel over. ;-) If not,there's plenty more where that came from...

Attachments

• new white oak bench  in roundabout on trail.jpg
    new white oak bench in roundabout on trail.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 576
Woodmaster, yeah he was tickled. He treated us really good too, he is a renowned orthopedic surgeon in our area, and a down-to-earth heck of a nice guy. We have a really tall maple to do for them this summer, and I'm sure we'll hear from the neighbors regarding more work. There's tons of downed oak on the back of his property and he's already given us the green light for.that stuff, that will be next winter when (I mean if) the ground freezes! Thistle, I like your bench too! My wife liked the one we made today so much she's put an order in for three or four of them. I'm gonna lose all my firewood! :lol:

woodsmaster said:
It's stuff like that, that can really make the job. That customer will be so happy your sure to get referrals. some times the
little extra can make them let other things go that they may of other wise not have. Like not so picky on clean up etc....
Nice job !!!

+1

Scotty Overkill said:
So we did a small cleanup job this morning, mostly all silver maple blowdowns and leaners. When the client came out and asked if we would cut him a bench out of one of the nicer logs so he could use it for his firepit. Oh, well. Heck it was only a couple billets' worth! Ripped a slab off of one side of a 7' log and made cradle notches in two of the billets for legs, voilla! :)

Looks good Scotty, last year when we milled some Hemlock I made some benches.

zap

How's it going Zap? I hadnt been around much the past few days,didnt notice you changed your name.Thought for a second "hmmm who's the new guy?" ;-) Snow all gone here again,temps from 45 to 74 (!) the past week,with upper 50's to lo 70's expected this week,light rain moving in now/overnight. I still think we'll see some more white stuff though,not unusual to see 3-4 inch the first week of April around here,even after you have some lettuce/spinach/onions planted.Dont hurt them any though.

Thistle said:
How's it going Zap? I hadnt been around much the past few days,didnt notice you changed your name.Thought for a second "hmmm who's the new guy?" ;-) Snow all gone here again,temps from 45 to 74 (!) the past week,with upper 50's to lo 70's expected this week,light rain moving in now/overnight. I still think we'll see some more white stuff though,not unusual to see 3-4 inch the first week of April around here,even after you have some lettuce/spinach/onions planted.Dont hurt them any though.

Sent a PM.

swampy

swampy69 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Looks good Scotty, last year when we milled some Hemlock I made some benches.

zap
Swampy, thanks for the compliment. I bet those hemlock benches will hold up good, the wife wants me to build some for our house so I think I'm going to look for a couple hemlocks for our benches. We had a good day up there, ended up with a heaping trailerload of maple, oak, and even a little sassafras. All of which will be ready to burn for summer campfire season! Not to mention a PILE of dead oak for a winter haul next year. Easily three or four cords and then some.

Evaluator guy said:
very cool scotty!!!
I made a mini chair out of a popular round for my 3 y/o Daughter
she likes to help me "spit wood" in her words!!

chuck
Chuck, thats awesome! You gotta love the things kids say! I'm sure she loves being out there with you. My daughter is 7 and she's the youngest of my brood, she's a daddy's girl and is ALWAYS out there helping me too. That chair you made for your daughter will hold many memories down the road!

Very nice. I've been thinking about doing something like this, for camp fires and general out door seating.
Now I'll have to search this site for more pics of log furniture.
Did you treat the wood?
Thanks for posting the nice pics!

maplewood said:
Very nice. I've been thinking about doing something like this, for camp fires and general out door seating.
Now I'll have to search this site for more pics of log furniture.
Did you treat the wood?
Thanks for posting the nice pics!
maplewood, no we just made it on-the-fly. It'll rot into the ground eventually, but I'm sure if the wood was dry enough you probably could treat it with something. I'm going to make some for home eventually and I'll probably do what swampy69 did, make them out of hemlock. It is more bug resistant when dried out. I'm betting locust would make a long-lasting bench too, I just hate to give up all those good BTU's for a simple bench!!

Are you all using some kind of proccessor or just noodling a 4'ish log by hand and eyeballing it? I think a couple of those aroung the fire pit would be nice.

BobUrban said:
Are you all using some kind of proccessor or just noodling a 4'ish log by hand and eyeballing it? I think a couple of those aroung the fire pit would be nice.
that's around a 7' log, and I eyeballed it. Its not too hard to do if yer chain is sharp and your throwing good oil. I set it on two cradled junk rounds to slab it. My wife really likes it so I guess we're gonna be making more! I'm gonna hold off til I find some hemlocks...

So basically, if you are careful and pick a good log you get two for one by just runing the saw down the middle and putting a wedge in the back end as you get into the log a ways?

Looks like some fire pit furniture will be a future project for me

BobUrban said:
So basically, if you are careful and pick a good log you get two for one by just runing the saw down the middle and putting a wedge in the back end as you get into the log a ways?

Looks like some fire pit furniture will be a future project for me
Yeah it's actually pretty easy, just make sure your chain is good and sharp, and you keep the oil flowing, and take your time. I eyeballed it (would be easier with an Alaskan style mill) and only took the top 1/3rd of the log off. The two rounds it is sitting on were notched in the top to cradle the log. It's actually fun up to the point when you realize you just lost two or three nights' worth of firewood to make the dang thing!

Scotty Overkill said:
BobUrban said:
that's around a 7' log, and I eyeballed it. Its not too hard to do if yer chain is sharp and your throwing good oil. I set it on two cradled junk rounds to slab it. My wife really likes it so I guess we're gonna be making more! I'm gonna hold off til I find some hemlocks...

White oak will last a very long time also.

Status
Not open for further replies.