Request for help connecting stove pipe to chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil

Oct 30, 2012
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me could help shed some light on my problem. I have an old Atlanta Stove Works model 26 fireplace and almost enough single wall stove pipe to reach my ceiling.

In the photo, you can see there is an 8" gap between where the stove pipe ends and where the ceiling support box will be mounted.

As I understand it, I will need a "dripless smoke pipe adapter" that will slide inside the stove pipe and allow me to connect to double wall chimney pipe.

Will it be possible for me to slide the DSA down through the ceiling support box and into the stove pipe, and thus make up the 8" gap difference? Also, assuming I have all Selkirk manufactured products, will I be able to connect the DSA directly to Selkirk Sure-Temp double wall chimney pipe?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. If you need more info about my situation, just ask and I'll reply quickly. Thanks again!

~Virgil

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 268
I am seeing a few issues here. The most important one is clearances. Single-wall pipe needs to be 18" from the wall. The support box hole appears to be pretty close to the wall. Maybe even too close for double-wall pipe? What is the distance from the center of the hole in the ceiling to the ceiling trim?

To answer the other question, the DSA attaches to the room side of the support box. The distance may need to be made up with more pipe or a telescoping pipe.

DSA.PNG

Hi Begreen and thank you for the reply!

I should have mentioned in my first post that I have also ordered liner and insulation that will cover the shelves behind my stove.

I'm still a bit confused about my pipe diameter. My stove pipe is 8", as is the hole through the ceiling support. I thought I would be using 8" chimney pipe, but that seems to be 10" in diameter and thus won't go through the hole in my ceiling support. Should I look for 6" double wall chimney pipe? Will that be 8" in diameter and attach to the 8" DSA on the room side, as you mentioned?

Sorry, I'm quite hopeless at all of this.

Thank you again!

Sorry, I'm still not convinced this is going to be safe. The clearances look too close. What exactly did you order and why would this be ok?

Start from the beginning. Was this an existing setup or is this all new? Are you trying to adapt some used pipe and ceiling support or are you trying to adapt for the Atlanta stove?

What is the distance from the center of the ceiling support to the nearest combustible?

Status
Not open for further replies.