Request pics of roof extensions or covers for woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My biggest woodpile is under the slight overhang of the roof of my garage. I don't have gutters so rainwater falls directly down onto the tarp covering the top of the pile. The rainwater spatters back onto the sides of the pile as it runs off the tarp. I have extended the tarp down the sides to prevent this but then I am preventing what little sun this pile gets and minimizing air flow.

I'd like to build an extension off both the garage and a garden shed to cover one or two rows of wood. This would be a small overhang/roof off the side, not an extension of the existing roof line. I think I understand the basic mechanics and how I would attach it to the existing structure but still could use some pics of what others have done. Now I'm not referring to full blown drying sheds - I don't have room or the time to do that, but instead hoping to build something adequate enough off my 2 buildings.

I appreciate any visual references so I can decide exactly how to construct it.

Just a thought.... would you be OK with a seperate, free-standing shed close enough to catch the overhang? I'm just thinking you may not want to tie in/attach to the existing structures in the event you decide there is a better place for the wood in the future. I'm picturing a relatively simple post shed with a slanted roof, very close, but not attached to the house. I'm not a builder, so like always... I'll defer to the real pro's here... But just throwing out an idea, and put this up in less than a weekend

Attachments

• shed.JPG
    shed.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,117
I don't know how you would go about extending the overhang, but you could slap gutters and downspouts on the garage, build yourself a couple rain barrels and keep the tarp on top of the pile.
Just a thought.

Oh...Harley that is an impressive pile o wood...

Gideon said:
Looks like about a 4 cord shed. I don't see room for another stick in there.

It actually measures 12 X 12 length and width, about 8' at the front, down to a little over 6' ar the back, so I'm thinking just a little over 7.

yeah, adding gutters might actually be easier but I don't have gutters anywhere else on the garage or house right now. I guess I could still do it though. Attached is a pic of the side of the garage where the woodpile is located. It starts about 2 feet to the left of the side door and runs all the way down to the left side of the garage. It is about chest height.

I think adding another overhang would look goofy, at least as I invision it inmy head. That's why I thought I'd put a shout out for other ideas. Somehow I'm hoping to make it integrated with the side of the garage as that is where the wood is located :) Ia lso have a second pile just like it behind a shed but this second pile is on the side of the shed where there is no roof overhang. Adding one would be OK. Framing/construction type carpentry is not my strong suit but I can build it is I have something to go by.

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 623
Might be easier to move the pile to the backside of the garage, and either cover with tarp or extned the roof of the garage (if you're feeling ambitious...)

Steve

Steve said:
Might be easier to move the pile to the backside of the garage, and either cover with tarp or extned the roof of the garage (if you're feeling ambitious...)

Steve

That might be a good idea.... you may be able to go out back with it, below the existing roofline.... if there's a door in the back, you could get at your wood pretty easy, and it would be out of sight.

Thanks, JABush... that was earlier in the spring before cleanup... have a bunch of rounds (maybe 3-4 cord) stacked up next to it now.

this is sort of what I had in mind...

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 536
Here's my setup. My "ready pile" goes under the roof extension. All the rest of the wood gets stacked on racks behind the shed.

Attachments

• Woodshed.jpg
    Woodshed.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 589
I love it. Gives new meaning to a boatshed.

Maybe a Holz hausen would look good behind that garage?

Unfortunately storm water runoff flows behind my garage. Obviously it does not run up against the garage but the garage is fairly new and that area is still establishing itself. Plus that side of the garage is very visible to the road and it gets zero sunlight. It is potentially usable space but near the bottom of my list. At least the side shown of the garage gets a good half day of sunlight directly on the wood.

wahoowad said:
Unfortunately storm water runoff flows behind my garage. Obviously it does not run up against the garage but the garage is fairly new and that area is still establishing itself. Plus that side of the garage is very visible to the road and it gets zero sunlight. It is potentially usable space but near the bottom of my list. At least the side shown of the garage gets a good half day of sunlight directly on the wood.

I like Todds idea, maybe put the Holz on the side towards the back. Kinda give it a silo look from the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.