Request suggestions on through the wall chimney connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manada_hill

Sep 22, 2009
PA
Hello guys,
I’m planning to install a chimney for a wood stove in my basement. I'm using the duraplus “through the wall chimney kit” to connect to the outside chimney pipes (triple wall pipes). The basement wall will be constructed with 10” wide cinder blocks.

The pipe that connect the thimble and the tee has to be 14” because the outside clearance to the tee is 2” and the inside clearance is also 2”, so all together I need 14” long wall pipe. Can I join a 9” and a 6” pipe horizontally through the wall? This will give 15” long pipe but is this acceptable per code to join a 9” and a 6” pipe since its going horizontally through the wall?

Thank you all,
Hill

According to Simpson, the tee branch should project a minimum of 6" into the room. From the description of the setup, I'd use an 18" length.

Hill, I have a similar set up with the simpson. Not through cinder block, just an exterior studed wall. With a 12 inch length, I just make the 6 inch requirement. BeGreen is correct again, use the 18. Also, I had to call multiple places last year...no one had what I needed in stock. Good luck.

Thanks BeGreen, I will connect two 9-inch pipes. Since I don’t have any prior experience working with chimney I didn't if i'm breaking any code by joining 2 pipes to get the required horizontal lenght that's why I posted a question. Thanks Again for the help.

Why 2 9"s??? Use one 18" length and avoid the extra joint.

I'm using the duraplus triple wall pipe and as far as i know they only make 6",9",12",24" or 36" wall pipe. That's why I was thinking of joining two 9" pipe to get 18" horizontal length.

Status
Not open for further replies.