Required diameter of SS liner for pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JW_CANADA

Mar 16, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Hello,

I am getting my Enviro Milan pellet insert this week and I am doing the install myself. I am ordering the liner tomorrow but I am still a little confused by what diameter is required. The manual says 3 or 4 inch but does not dictate that one size must be used based on liner length etc. The length of my liner will be 20ft.

http://www.enviro.com/images/manual...struction Milan Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

3 inch is obviously easier to run and costs less but I don't want to undersize the liner. My local enviro dealer seemed to think the 20ft length would only require a 3 inch liner. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this? The stove is a smaller stove at with only 34000 btu.

I got the stove as a factory demo well below the retail price of the dealer. A local guy knows someone who works at the factory in B.C. so he has a source for these stoves. They apparently burn every 100th unit off the line as a test then clear them out with a full warranty.

Thanks,
Jeremy

With most of the Quad units according to the manual I think you can go up to 25ft at 0ft elevation before switching to 4". We had two nearly identical installs this year (done on the same day if you can believe that) and one customer asked for 4". Have not heard of any problems from either.

being brutally honest , i would recommend a 4 inch for a 20 ft vert. after about 13-15 ft the 4 inch will develop a bit more draw than 3 inch, so im going with 4 if im over 15 ft. i would say also that if the manual states you can go with 3 then apparantly its ok, but i tend to lean the other way personally, hope this helps ya

This will vary from stove to stove depending on the draft inducer used. I connected our Quad 1200i to about 23' of 3". It worked great. There was never an issue with draw. It behaved well even with fires aborted by power failures.

But I can see another stove with a smaller blower, or a more convoluted exhaust path needing larger pipe sooner. Best to check with Enviro and see what they recommend.

JW_CANADA said:
Hello,

I am getting my Enviro Milan pellet insert this week and I am doing the install myself. I am ordering the liner tomorrow but I am still a little confused by what diameter is required. The manual says 3 or 4 inch but does not dictate that one size must be used based on liner length etc. The length of my liner will be 20ft.

http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/tech-manuals/C-11419 Instruction Milan Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

3 inch is obviously easier to run and costs less but I don't want to undersize the liner. My local enviro dealer seemed to think the 20ft length would only require a 3 inch liner. Does anyone have any comments or thoughts on this? The stove is a smaller stove at with only 34000 btu.

I got the stove as a factory demo well below the retail price of the dealer. A local guy knows someone who works at the factory in B.C. so he has a source for these stoves. They apparently burn every 100th unit off the line as a test then clear them out with a full warranty.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy how did it go??? can you post a pic??

Status
Not open for further replies.