researching stoves around 2cf, too many choices ,help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you looked into Hearthstone's new stove? The Castleton.
It's a no frills all soapstone stove, 1.9 cubic feet priced right at $2,000. I'm putting one in this fall.

Thanks for the suggestion, seems like a nice stove but we are wanting a stove that has more of a modern look to it. I hope you enjoy your new stove!

Sounds like a well thought-out decision for a good stove. Keep up posted on the install.

A couple more things-
We constructed our own raised hearth pad. Despite the fact that the Spokane only needs ember protection, I'd suggest making a pad/hearth that would accomodate other stoves in the future. It at least keeps your options open for a TON of other great stoves. We raised the R-value using layers of cementboard along with the mortar and tile. Double-check the height needed for this stove compared to your ceiling height in that location.
We also made a non-combustible wall using the specs from the NFI and stealing ideas from hearth.com. It has a 1-inch space from the wall, mantel, and hearth and is El Dorado brand stone veneer.
We load our stove N/S but have burned E/W on occasion. The diagonals of the stove can accomodate bigger wood if needed. Get into a stove shop and check out the stove if you can.

Sorry for the delay in answering, Brother was getting married this weekend. :cool:
Hi, I am thinking of getting the same stove, Avalon Spokane 1750. I have some questions about your experience: My needs are: under $2500, around 2cf to for backup/supplement heat for 1500 sf one level open ranch, prefer somewhat modern/contemporary looks.

1) Are you still happy with this stove?
Very happy with the stove looks and performance.

2) Looking back, do you wish you had gotten something different?
Not a chance, Price/Performance is better than most and Dealer support has been wonderful.

3) Have you had any problems cleaning without a bypass damper?
No, you should pull the bricks out and remove the thick steel plate in the rear, but it only adds 5-10min to the job of cleaning. Really hasn't made a difference in pperformancenot not having a bypass either. IMHO

4) Any other problems with the stove or any other feedback.
The only thing I would suggest is replacing the roof Firebrick with Insulating bricks. They allow you to have shorter start up to secondaries. It also allows you to keep secondaries with less wood and for a bit longer by keeping the firebox hotter. I replaced the top and side firebrick with Insulating Firebricks. Was a $20 cost and the improvement made 12hr fires a common occurrence with good wood and 10hrs an everyday thing even with Maple/Box Elder type woods, heck dry pine was giving me 6hrs. I had enough coals to light after a couple of long days out... 16ish hrs two or three times as well. I burned about 2-2.5 cord last winter of marginal not fully seasoned wood. I only burned from December 1st. I am assuming since I will have well seasoned wood this winter Ill prob burn about the same but all season. Kept the house at 75 all winter. I am sure that you will be happy with your purchase.

You can see my project unfolding at the following thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/assistance-selecting-stove.110440/ Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the delay in answering, Brother was getting married this weekend. :cool:

First, congrats to your Brother!

Thanks for the informative reply. Your idea about replacing the roof Firebrick with insulating bricks sounds like a wonderful idea.

Did you just order them from your stove shop?

Would insulating bricks cause any warranty problems or cause the stove to over heat/fire?

Would you mind checking out my last post on the thread I started regarding my project. Specifically, do the prices sound fair?

You can find my thread at:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/assistance-selecting-stove.110440/page-2

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.