1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

researching stoves around 2cf, too many choices ,help

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by new guy, May 20, 2013.

1. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA

Thanks for the suggestion, seems like a nice stove but we are wanting a stove that has more of a modern look to it. I hope you enjoy your new stove!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a well thought-out decision for a good stove. Keep up posted on the install.
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie New Member

Loc:
    Penn Yan, NY
    A couple more things-
    We constructed our own raised hearth pad. Despite the fact that the Spokane only needs ember protection, I'd suggest making a pad/hearth that would accomodate other stoves in the future. It at least keeps your options open for a TON of other great stoves. We raised the R-value using layers of cementboard along with the mortar and tile. Double-check the height needed for this stove compared to your ceiling height in that location.
    We also made a non-combustible wall using the specs from the NFI and stealing ideas from hearth.com. It has a 1-inch space from the wall, mantel, and hearth and is El Dorado brand stone veneer.
    We load our stove N/S but have burned E/W on occasion. The diagonals of the stove can accomodate bigger wood if needed. Get into a stove shop and check out the stove if you can.
  4. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    Sorry for the delay in answering, Brother was getting married this weekend. :cool:
  5. isipwater

isipwater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Shore, MA

First, congrats to your Brother!

Thanks for the informative reply. Your idea about replacing the roof Firebrick with insulating bricks sounds like a wonderful idea.

Did you just order them from your stove shop?

Would insulating bricks cause any warranty problems or cause the stove to over heat/fire?

Would you mind checking out my last post on the thread I started regarding my project. Specifically, do the prices sound fair?

You can find my thread at:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/assistance-selecting-stove.110440/page-2

Thanks in advance.