Reserve stacks as privacy barrier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I've only just now gotten into a rhythm where I can really make an effort to get two years (maybe more) ahead. I have all the necessary tools, I have a shed that holds a winter's worth of wood (about 5 cords), and I'm building up a healthy supply of rounds to be processed for later, so now its time to start thinking about where/how to store it. My rear property line is 75' long. I had hoped to fence it with a stockade privacy fence, but the time and $$$ just weren't in the cards, so I ended up heading down Tractor Supply to pick up a roll of welded wire fence and a bunch of T-posts. I put the fence up in one day for less than the cost of three 6x8 wood panels (I would have needed nine to fence it plus the posts)-as far as dog containment (the primary purpose) it works just fine. However, it doesn't provide any privacy. It would just be nice to be able to sit out in the backyard and not feel like we're on display. That's where the stacks come in. What I envision is (eventually) a 6' high, 4' wide, and 75' or so long stack of wood (almost 15 cords) across the backyard. Pallets would serve as the base as I have access to plenty, but I'm wondering how to shore up the sides. I've made racks in the past with pallets as "bookends" but unless I can come upon some of those really long pallets, stacking to 6' (or possibly a bit higher if I can) would be tough. I know I've seen similar stacks posted on here-can anyone post up theirs so I can get some ideas?

Badfish, why do you feel you would have to shore up the sides? They should not need any special treatment.

Backwoods Savage said:
Badfish, why do you feel you would have to shore up the sides? They should not need any special treatment.

Because I've seen what your stacks and splits look like and mine never look that good :lol: I scrounge most of my wood which makes for some pretty ugly, gnarly stuff sometimes, but I suppose I could try. I did get a pretty tall pile (about 8' wide by 5' deep by 6' high) going freestanding once.

Practice! I'm betting that in time you can do much better than I do.

You only need nicely shaped pieces for the end supports, put the uglies in the middle and on top. It's not hard, just try to keep it plumb.

You could use a transit.... and a square...

Someone here posted a pic of t-posts running up through vertical pallets. No reason you couldn't double stack the pallets if you used 8' posts.

Those 8 footers are not too cheap! Just stack the wood and be done with it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Those 8 footers are not too cheap!

Tell me about it. And they still don't keep the deer out of the garden.

Solar, I use 7 footers for the garden fence and have never had a deer in there yet. At one time I had 4' fence and they got in only once but it appeared the deer got scared and went right back out without eating a thing. The key I think was the extra wire just a bit above the 4' fence. I just used wire we use for electric fence and it worked great but I like the high fence better.

Don't even get me started Dennis. I watched a tickbag munching the strawberries in the moonlight who didn't even care that I was there. I let the dog in the garden and the deer took two steps and went over that wire fence like it wasn't even there. 8' posts, wire fence all the way up and reinforced with 3 lines of galvanized because they rammed through the wire fence 2 years ago.

Yup. We had some deer run into the fence last summer. Probably young ones feeling frisky.

The deer jump over my 4 foot fence like it is not even there. Now it is muzzle loader season and they are no where to be seen. How do they know?

This is just the October lull. Things should improve a lot next week.

*laughing*

My stacks kinda resemble Bactrian camels :)

250px-Bactrian_Camel_b_d.jpg

I have the room and a holy load of pallets ( thank you Greg Besser pools !!), plus a mother load of cement/paving blocks that were accumulated by the Ex, never found a use for them until I got the PE ;-) . The Dixette wants to build a fancy fence out of wood ( she saw it somewhere, with cuppolas/turets or some such, and wants to do it for gits & shiggles.)

I told her with the oak & pine coming down around here, to knock herself out.

I'll try to remember to take pics of the stacks %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.