Resolute 1979 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyRetro

Oct 29, 2016
Maine
Hey all, I recently bought a new home, to me anyways and there is a very nice VC Resolute 1979 stove. I decided to give it a good clean out and now I'm at a loss as to what to do next. My first question is, does it need fire bricks? The bottom was packed with ash, gravel and some old nails. Not a lot of gravel and just a few nails but they were there. I've taken some pics to show what I have. I've had a few decent fires over the last week and I should have just left well enough alone but my OCD tendencies pushed me to give it a good cleaning with the shop vac.

Thanks so much in advance. The stove is not my primary source of heat. It is just supplemental. I have read the manual to it but I still have some questions.

7854baaefae341e5617023669a4785d8.jpgbf15111b6e84f15a23e46b4f6ab349f0.jpg1fe4790bdd92ea150861bbaa90ea772b.jpg

There were no firebricks in this stove. Put an inch of sand in the bottom first. Considering it hasn't been fired up in a while, do a couple small break in fires first before fully loading. This is a great little stove. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Do you have the manual? If not, we have it in 3 parts here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/vermont-castings-older-stove-models/

Reactions: MattyRetro
There were no firebricks in this stove. Put an inch of sand in the bottom first. Considering it hasn't been fired up in a while, do a couple small break in fires first before fully loading. This is a great little stove. You should get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Do you have the manual? If not, we have it in 3 parts here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/vermont-castings-older-stove-models/

Thanks begreen for the tip on the sand! Sounds like an easy fix. I will definitely go thru the manual and see what I can learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.