Resolute 3 small hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zackshea

Nov 2, 2021
Pennsylvania
First post, just got my restored resolute 3 installed.

I looked over the manuals etc. but couldn’t find this hole on any of the pictures…

Front left near bottom and is threaded…

Does this do anything? Should there be something in there?

The stove runs pretty hot but I am burning locust and it’s in the 40’s-50s outside

03ED6D9D-1EDA-4133-9AC0-33FE675E7CF9.jpeg 9C5DF8DE-E663-4038-9D22-1F51171ACD5C.jpeg

that i know of that is not supposed to be there. don't run it like that you might overfire the stove. cheap fix would be stick a bolt and nut in the hole

Reactions: zackshea
IMHO its not factory. I have seen in the past a drip arrangement on a couple of homebrew units where they dripped used motor oil into the fire (really dumb idea). Buy a nice plug and paint it the same color as the stove and be done with it.

Reactions: zackshea
Thanks guys. It did seem out of place. I thought it was strange that it is threaded. That is what made me think something belonged in there. I will plug it before relighting.

that is for the coal kit shaker handle rod. if burning wood, it should be plugged (would have had one from the factory). that stove may have had a coal kit originally.

Yes that makes more sense. I will look for a bolt to fit
Keep in mind it could be a pipe thread instead of a bolt thread so you may need a pipe plug instead of bolt. Pipe threads have a slight taper while bolt threads do not.

some have used steel wool, or furnace cement.