Resolute Acclaim missing firebrick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
We are renting a house and it has a 1988 Acclaim. I was cleaning out the mess inside the stove and noticed at the back of the firebox, there seemed to be an opening where a firebrick may go. I can push my finger into what feels like dense insulation. I am guessing this is some heat retardant layer but not sure. Is it safe to burn the stove with this opening that way it is?

Attachments

• IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 394
You have a downdraft stove. When in Bypass mode that is where the smoke is sucked through the bottom and reburned giving a cleaner more efficient burn. I would have a sweep come out and inspect and clean it to make sure refractory package is still good and not plugged up or damaged. By the way don't poke your finger into the refractory package they are fragile..

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.