Resolute Acclaim - Model 2490 - Pre - 1995

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

We're_cooking!

Sep 11, 2023
Oregon
I grew up with wood heat being our only heat. It's been 25 years, but now, in a house with a wood stove again. It is a Resolute Acclaim (Vermont Castings) - Model 2490; from my reading, it would mean pre-1995, so I'm hoping I'm posting in the correct place. It has two cracked bricks. For a consistent burn, my husband wants to get all new bricks inside, new material around the window, and seal everything.

Before his time is exerted on doing this, my question is, what year was this built? The manufacturer date code is 0911, I looked on some other threads, but it is escaping me. 1991, 1981? Is the juice worth the squeeze? If in good repair, does this stove have more life in it?

In a magical world where money wasn't a concern, I'd get a new stove, but we are getting an unsafe chimney taken down from our detached shop that is not used and a liner installed in the house chimney. We do many DIY things ourselves, but the weather in the PNW will be shifting soon, and I want it done. This is our nice-to-have project for the year.

It's an EPA stove but was not one of VC's best efforts. Examine the innards thoroughly and price out the repair vs replacement costs.

It is about $750 in parts for the refractory/combustion package replacement pieces. Just would gut to start fresh.
Yes and probably a complete teardown and recementing would be needed. So after all that work and money you will have a mediocre stove

It's a pretty stove and hopefully the new refractory is better quality than the old one was. That said, if the first priority is good heat then there are better options for a bit more money.

I'm just dipping my toe in and looking at the different forums. Is there a place I should be looking at for decent heat stoves that are a bit more? This is for function at this point, heat, so a square black box is okay by me :)

Drolet and True North are popular value stoves that work well. How large of an area is the stove in? Is this area open to the rest of the floor or closed off by a standard doorway?

First, I'm extreme appreciative of all the feedback and insights shared. Folks here do a real service, thank you!

Woof, okay, I've done digging into code and other items. Doesn't matter that the stove was EPA certified at one time, Oregon code is if installed before 2009 it needs to be removed by the sellers at time of sale. That obviously didn't happen, I went back and looked at our sales contract (fall of 2020, a weird time), there was no verbiage on the buyers doing this, it was just overlooked, yay realtors.

I'm sure the experts here are aware, but I was not, that you can't have a pipe coming out the back of the wood stove any more, that it needs to come out the top of the wood stove. With this knowledge, I think we need to just say goodbye to the wood stove and look at inserts. Obviously this changes things financially and this project may be put off for a time. At this point I'm good waiting a year, saving, and getting something nice that I can use for years. We'd get something sleek, minimal/modern/euro looking.

The piece of sheet metal resting on the wood stove is what they used to separate the fireplace from the room.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.42.14 PM.pngPXL_20230916_031816280.jpgPXL_20230916_031825733.jpgPXL_20230916_031907181.jpg

Last edited:
First, I'm extreme appreciative of all the feedback and insights shared. Folks here do a real service, thank you!

Woof, okay, I've done digging into code and other items. Doesn't matter that the stove was EPA certified at one time, Oregon code is if installed before 2009 it needs to be removed by the sellers at time of sale. That obviously didn't happen, I went back and looked at our sales contract (fall of 2020, a weird time), there was no verbiage on the buyers doing this, it was just overlooked, yay realtors.

I'm sure the experts here are aware, but I was not, that you can't have a pipe coming out the back of the wood stove any more, that it needs to come out the top of the wood stove. With this knowledge, I think we need to just say goodbye to the wood stove and look at inserts. Obviously this changes things financially and this project may be put off for a time. At this point I'm good waiting a year, saving, and getting something nice that I can use for years. We'd get something sleek, minimal/modern/euro looking.

The piece of sheet metal resting on the wood stove is what they used to separate the fireplace from the room.

View attachment 315414View attachment 315415View attachment 315416View attachment 315417
What do you mean you can't have the pipe coming out the back anymore??

What do you mean you can't have the pipe coming out the back anymore??
I'm not expert, but I've been digging into Oregon code, it appears the chimney needs to come out of the top of the wood stove, it can either then go straight up, or change with a bend. This backwards "L" shape set up we currently have is not to code.

I've had one company out, they advised because of their licensing, they couldn't help with the current setup. Now that cold be BS speak for they don't want the job, but they did pull the code out and we discussed, and I've looked up more on the state website.

I've got another company coming out Tuesday, I feel better informed to ask more questions on the subject.

In theory we could bust a hole in the brick, but I don't want to do that.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.42.08 AM.png

I'm not expert, but I've been digging into Oregon code, it appears the chimney needs to come out of the top of the wood stove, it can either then go straight up, or change with a bend. This backwards "L" shape set up we currently have is not to code.

I've had one company out, they advised because of their licensing, they couldn't help with the current setup. Now that cold be BS speak for they don't want the job, but they did pull the code out and we discussed, and I've looked up more on the state website.

I've got another company coming out Tuesday, I feel better informed to ask more questions on the subject.

In theory we could bust a hole in the brick, but I don't want to do that.

View attachment 315438
That makes no sense at all. Manufacturers instructions on ul listed stoves over ride code requirements. And there are obviously rear vented stoves made even today.

That makes no sense at all. Manufacturers instructions on ul listed stoves over ride code requirements. And there are obviously rear vented stoves made even today.

I gotta 2nd this.. The OP should talk to a qualified installer

Reactions: bholler
I grew up with wood heat being our only heat. It's been 25 years, but now, in a house with a wood stove again. It is a Resolute Acclaim (Vermont Castings) - Model 2490; from my reading, it would mean pre-1995, so I'm hoping I'm posting in the correct place. It has two cracked bricks. For a consistent burn, my husband wants to get all new bricks inside, new material around the window, and seal everything.

Before his time is exerted on doing this, my question is, what year was this built? The manufacturer date code is 0911, I looked on some other threads, but it is escaping me. 1991, 1981? Is the juice worth the squeeze? If in good repair, does this stove have more life in it?

In a magical world where money wasn't a concern, I'd get a new stove, but we are getting an unsafe chimney taken down from our detached shop that is not used and a liner installed in the house chimney. We do many DIY things ourselves, but the weather in the PNW will be shifting soon, and I want it done. This is our nice-to-have project for the year.
We just had the same decision to make, and we ended up getting a brand new stove. The VC resolute acclaim is on of the worst stoves VC ever built. I only burned about 2-3 cords a year and found myself replacing parts every 3-5 years. Parts would add up to 500- 1000 just to have a OK stove with terrible burn times. I feel like I should have just bought a new stove years ago. So happy to retire our VC this year. Hope this helps.

I've had 2 installers out, we are going a different route, getting a new insert. I'll be starting a different thread on that. Thank you everyone!