Resolute clean out process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootstrap

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2013
Northern CT
My 1979 resolute is not running right. The stove will not get hot. The chimney is in good condition and I just inspected it the other day. I suspect ash must have somehow gotten into the intake somewhere and is clogging it up.
When I crack open the door the fire will burn good but if I close it the fire gets cold. If I close the damper it's even worse. Even if I move the tstat to the hottest setting and open the little flap on the side(wide open throttle here) it will not burn hot unless I crack open the door.
I've never cleaned this stove as I recently got it. How do I give this stove a thorough clean out?

Just for fun , open the draft control flap in the rear and hold a vacuum up to it. Who knows, may be a pile of stuff in there!?! Also vac. the holes inthe fireback, and the oval opening in the left insert. But probably won't be much. Sounds more like classic symptoms of unseasoned fierwood.

Good luck!

Here's something else to try: putting a vacuum to the secondary burn passage on the right hand side. I tried using poly hose with the vacuum cleaner, but to get a hose thin and flexible enough to make the turn into the passage behind the fireback, the hose will collapse with the vacuum. But I had some tubing left over from the waterfall I rigged up for the backyard fish pond. (It uses an antique pitcher pump as the 'outflow'.) This tubing has corrugations on the outside, but is entirely more flexible than poly or vinyl tubing, plus it doesn't collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.