Resolute III 0043 - Stove Pipe Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean01701

Jan 3, 2010
Metro West - Mass
All

Need some help! I inherited an early / mid 80's VC Resolute III 0043 (two doors, not one). Recently I renovated a room and in doing so, raised up the hearth but didn't account for the change in stove pipe length. Genius at work I know. (1st pic)

Anyhow, having trouble finding the approrpaite pieces to fit. I couldn't retrofit what I had as the top and middle sections of pipe were essentially fused togeter. 30 years of fires and self tapping screws will do that i suppose.

Anyway, I bought a (6'') Dura Vent telescoping piece, alas the VC stove has an oval flue collar (2nd pic), and my stove pipe is round. Also, the pipe won't fit all the way over that crimped ceiling piece in the (3rd)pics below. I imagine I need some sort of adapter or trim piece to make this all fit correctly.

Any advice you could all lend.

Thanks!

Attachments

• hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 754
  • Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 789
  • Ceiling.jpg
    Ceiling.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,701
Hmm, I don't think you need anything much!

The Resolute is only a slight oval at the stove and most 24ga stove pipe will easily insert into there - crimped end down.

At the ceiling, you need to slip the non-crimped end over those crimps - you are correct that different brands of pipe may not mate perfectly together. If need be, you can recrimp those crimps on the adapter (in the pic) so that part of the pipe ends up smaller. This can be done with a hand crimper - there are special ones for stove pipe, but in a pinch you can get a cheapo one made for crimping gutters.

Make sure that adapter hanging down is in decent condition......in terms of not rusting away. It may be a good idea to use stove paint on it inside and out to preserve it a bit.

Use furnace cement and screws between pipe joints....

The one tricky part is fitting it all together at full length! There are a couple ways to do this....

1. If you are super human and have a helper, you can actually tilt the stove and probably insert the pipe and then slowly tile and move the stove into position.
2. You can get a stovepipe slip adapter and attach it to the adapter in your pic - hanging down. Then slip your other pipe around it and pull down into the stove.
3. The flue collar easily removes from the Stove - you can therefore push it up onto the pipe (once cut to perfect length) and then re-attach to the stove.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks Craig, big help. I bought the following, below, and the top portion will not mate to the ceiling piece, perfectly, as you mentioned.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5SP-1647/6-DuraBlack-Telescoping-Black-Stove-Pipe-Length-1647

Do you think I should attempt cut / re-crimp the crimped portion of that ceiling adapter, (there is plenty of "slack" though my skill level on stove pipe is novice) or just return it and purchase this kit just below?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5SP-1692/6-DuraBlack-Stovepipe-Kit-1692

Again, many thanks.

SRB

If the adapter is in good shape, I'd use it at is. If you can get it even 1" into the female pipe, you'd be fine (with screws and furnace cement)...

If you remove that adapter, then you have to be careful about mating with the pipe up in the ceiling. Some adapters actually have to be put on before you lower the pipe into the ceiling support. Others are tough to put on because the pipe is up in there!

Craig - with some finageling, (technical term), I think this will be easier than I anticipted. All I need now is a trim collar to make this look a little better where it meets the ceiling, and like you said, find some furnace c'ment and self tapping screws. I easliy have a few inches into the female stove pipe from the male end in the ceiling. I'll work the pipe into the oval opening in the VC - hopefully that fits in okay.

Thanks Again for all the help - big assist.

PS - will be posting again looking for a good high-heat semi-gloss / satin stove paint to match up with the new pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.