Respirator type for (I presume) wood mold allergy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
On Nov. 1 we got 8" of snow in E. Tennessee. Unfortunately, the leaves are still on the trees so we had many split trees/branches/boughs. Mucho property clean-up.

While working outside for a couple of hours a day since then, my allergies were in overdrive and I got very sick. I presume it was from bacteria or mold from the limbs.

Does anybody else have this problem and if so, what type of respirator should I get?

Thanks.

For outside gardening a dust mask is sufficient. Not a respirator.

Thanks for your response. Would a dust mask suffice? I mow the yard, I should have mentioned that before, and am not affected beyond the strength of the allergy medicine I take daily.

Generally try to go with the minimum which is a dust mask with an exhale valve. In order to get better filtration, you end up having to work harder to breath and for some folks they don't have good enough lungs to do it. When I use a HEPA filter I can feel it

Can't be sure, but unless its fumes, a particle mask should be fine. The molds attach to particles. Thats how the fly outside.

I wear a dual respirator with simple particulate (i.e. "dust" cartridges) for mowing during allergy season. I own versions from a few different manufacturers, including 3M and AoSafety. My favorite is this simple little jobbie from 3M:

0005113107182_P321146_180X180.jpg-ee0e89303f00662ef23d9799c4e8033d2edb0f6f-optim-180x180.jpg

I have found the more simple / disposable types just don't work, not because the filter material is no good, but because they leak around your face:

81iRiO-PKeL._SY355AA355_PIbundle-10,TopRight,0,0_AA355_SH20_.jpg

It's all about fit and comfort. The above pink dual-cartridge unit is very nice because it's light and not cumbersome (compared to full carbon canister respirators), but still fits snugly and comfortably. I can wear it for several hours at a time, and it does a great job keeping my pretty severe grass allergies at bay while mowing during grass pollen season (June).

Lots of good information here. I think we have a 3M mask. Will get the dust cartridges and try that out first. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.