respond to this letter from Kerry about renewables?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

On 3/15/07 11:19 AM, "John Kerry and Teresa Heinz Kerry" wrote:

Dear elkimmeg, ( ps I edited it to reflect my forum name)

During the campaign and since then, we have talked to Americans from coast to coast about the environment and the critical challenge we all face in protecting the earth for future generations.

Here's where you come in: We'd love to hear from you. Please take a moment and send us your stories about people you know -- even yourself -- who have found ways to make the world a greener place. They don't have to be famous and they don't even have to consider themselves environmentalists. They just need to be people with the imagination and courage to envision the world as a better place. We can't wait to read about their stories and we look forward to hearing from you.

I have been communicating with his staff for quite some time. Again trying to get recognition of the efforts members are doing here every day Efforts like Corie and Rob .
This is one powerful ally to have supporting our efforts

Note this is his personal e-mail address

What message should we send him what better way to enhance our way of life and the alternative heating choices we have made I think everyone here is not only trying to burn renewable fuels but at the same time making improvements to their homes to conserve what heqat we produce I think we all are making an effort to leave a small a foor print on our enviorment as possibe. Its not just wood stoves being discussed here but wise energy saving ideas Proper wood management personal safety

elkimmeg said:
On 3/15/07 11:19 AM, "John Kerry and Teresa Heinz Kerry" <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear elkimmeg,

During the campaign and since then, we have talked to Americans from coast to coast about the environment and the critical challenge we all face in protecting the earth for future generations.

Here's where you come in: We'd love to hear from you. Please take a moment and send us your stories about people you know -- even yourself -- who have found ways to make the world a greener place. They don't have to be famous and they don't even have to consider themselves environmentalists. They just need to be people with the imagination and courage to envision the world as a better place. We can't wait to read about their stories and we look forward to hearing from you.

I have been communicating with his staff for quite some time. Again trying to get recognition of the efforts members are doing here every day Efforts like Corie and Rob .
This is one powerful ally to have supporting our efforts

Note this is his personal e-mail address

personally, the guy doesnt thrill me (being ex military) but i'd see what he is looking for , his recognition of the donor programs is worth bringing up to him IMHO i think its tremendous what has been accomplished with that. make sure that he "gets it" about the industry's efforts for cleaner burning safer units (.7ppm VC technology, guess we have to roll up our sleeves to get below that at ESW) i agree that he would be a great asset in our corner, i'd be willing to put my personal onus aside for that.

Do you REALLY want to know how I would resond? REALLY??

Hmmm....I'll tell you my thoughts. He doesn't have much credibility with people I associate with. I know myself, I discount anything he says or does. Weigh all your options if you want to hitch your wagon to his horses. It could hurt you in the long run.

Look I am strictly an independent voter at time we are faced with voting I for the less of evils ( in my oppinion) however guess who controls both the house and senate.
as it stands Kerry has tremendeous influence. I was a political science History major in college If the game needs to be played then try to influence how it is played
If anyone has a pipe line with more influence please step forward. Its the message that counts not the person delivering it to get there I plan to have a face to face discussion with him that' what I hope this leads to. I want to look him in the eye and deliver how for years we have done the job carbon neutral I want to inform about .7 Gph bio bricks bio logs all the talk on capital hill and they have no idea the efforts the industry has made for cleaner responsible burning no idea about bio pellets ./logs I want to place them in his hands let him read the lable.
Hell he can have the log to bring it to the Senate You want to know my comitment well here it is. I will not leave a stone unturned to present what we members fellow wood burners have done to ween ourselves of imported fosil fuel and be enviormentally friendly. I may not susceed But damn I'm trying ,but I need help

First, Elk - I'd have to say that would be great - all politics aside, and not going to come up with a whole laundry list of things that make me somewat cynical as to why that really wasn't sincere (sorry - just had to get that out)

I would focus on the "donor" programs - both yours and Cories.... and actually make a distinction between the 2... If I kindof understand the differences, your program focuses more to getting rid of the less efficient stoves and replacing with "eco-friendly" (I hate that term) stoves. His is a little different focus, as far as getting a safe instal. into more "needy" peoples homes even its with some older stoves. I think there is a big difference there as far as the goals, and I do fully support both programs, so I hope neither of you take that as some sort of "dig".

I would think some of your background and how you built your house would help as well. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best "word-smith" to write a response. Was there anything more in the text of the message to indicate what they were looking for? It really seemed (based on what you posted here) it was pretty short and left very open, so its hard for me, at least to try to come up with a focused response.... but I'll keep thinking about it - above was just off the top of my head.

Hey, I know all too well how politics work. I have used them for myself and for some of the things I believe in. But I also have been known to be a little self destructive when I'm trying to get a point across. I, myself could never use someone that I don't respect to further my cause. But that's me, maybe for the good of your (our) cause you have to do what you have to do. You ask for some opinions, you got mine, now it's time for others to give theirs. Careful what you wish for.

Harley and forum members I indend to play him as much as he plays us. meaning he has contacts I never have accces to. It reminds me of a movie sleeping with the enemy. This is a dangereous gamble that's why I am passing it along for guidence and advice

Dear John,

There once was a man from Lake Furning
Who had a particular yearning
and he said with some glee as he hacked at the tree
if I'd cut it last year I'd be burning

Elk,

I commend you on your persistence. Obviously it's paying off! I agree with the other posters thoughts on Mr. Kerry, but you are absolutely right about playing the game. You have to get into the game first...and this is a great opportunity for us as a group. I'm not sure how I could help, other than encouragement (and maybe spell check ;-) ), but I think you already have all the facts and info to present to him. I just hope he hasn't sent the same letter to our anti-burning friends, because I'm sure they would play the game too!

Keep us posted on this, Elk...we're all in this one together!

Elk,
Simple solution is to ask him to put himself on the line. I don't think he will personally do it, but maybe a staffer will. Invite him to join the forum and ask for our opinions. Have him start his own topics and make sure he understands it may take a little Nomex and welders gloves at first, but he can get a feel for the commitment of the free thinkers here. Quoting chapter and verse and loading him with statistics won't get us or him anywhere, but give us a chance to give compelling arguments will advance whatever cause we have collectively. He's a big boy, let him make the choice.

elkimmeg said:
Harley and forum members I indend to play him as much as he plays us. meaning he has contacts I never have accces to. It reminds me of a movie sleeping with the enemy. This is a dangereous gamble that's why I am passing it along for guidence and advice

Elk....don't miss your chance to plug wood stoves.....think about it...these guys are 1-step behind Al Gore in preaching "reducing carbon footprints"....so.....tell them that one of the benefits of wood burning is there's a zero net carbon footprint.......

Warren said:
Dear John,

There once was a man from Lake Furning
Who had a particular yearning
and he said with some glee as he hacked at the tree
if I'd cut it last year I'd be burning

Mind if I borrow your limerick? I have a very perfect application. Won't Disclose.....yet. Stay tuned, anyway.

Elk is asking for positive input for use with a connection that no one is is able to come close to. Why do you aholes have to make it a negative thing. This sh-t pisses me off.
The man is going above & beyond, where non of the rest of us could even come close to. Jesus then some of you morons have to make an ash can post out of this.
Elk, I don't care who it is, if you have a high up connection, and it will help our plight & help many others. I am in and will help in any way possible.
Theres too much bitching & whining, and not enough action in a positive manor. If you have no positive input on what could be a great thing, then keep your bs to yourselves and take it to the ash can.
Elk I also agree the donor program is good for starters. Although OWB's are not really our thing, I also suggest some talks about bringing them up to EPA standards as stoves should be. Only makes sense if wood stove burners & manufacturers are doing their part, both voluntarily or involuntarily, OWB's should have to follow the same path & rules.
Maybe even a firewood program, where trees are cut for firewood for needy and local folks, and replaced with saplings to renew the growth.
Theres a whole laundry list of good ideas I am sure. Lets pitch in guys. A small few have been doing alot, time for some others to pitch in.
Enough talk, how bout some action & help the man with a really good opportunity.
Might even be a good way to make sure the issues folks don't get even close to making our cleaner woodburning efforts flush down the toilet.
Theres many avenues to pursue here. Those of you men & women who are open enough to put your personal differences aside. I applaud & thank you.
Those that can't, do us a favor and post anywhere you want, keep your grief from this particular thread please. There is no need to sabatoge a good opportunity that does not get presented very often if at all in ones life.
I'll try and get some free time and think of some things, not sure what I will come up with, or if it will even be worth a crap. But I will try Elk.
Excellent work Elk. I would suggest leaving any personal contact info for your connections out of your posts for now on. We don't need a moron to do something dumb and ruin something positive for us. I hope this turns into a great thing, for us and many others.

the e-mail was put there to validate the connection and efforts going on It will m be edited out

1-800-jon4wood (oooh Golf reference, getting closer Elk, JobLot has a BEEG sale on Golf shoes this week)

I want a tax break on my stove retroactive to when it was installed.
Tax credits for windows, doors, insulation, hi-efficiency boilers and furnaces but not for the stove and chimney!

There should also be some sort of low to zero interest loan program for those willing to go with solar or wind power for electricity. Maybe the program can be something simple. For instance, the loan is zero or VERY low interest for your purchase and installation of a windmill to provide electricity to your home. They can make sure of your dedication by monitoring your electric bill and the interest rate could go up along with penalties if you decide to go back on grid. I would install a windmill tomorrow if the initial cash out of pocket wasnt so high.

Elk, you may want to start with just a list of important topics that you (us) would like to be put forward. Shine them up with fancy words later.

1. Establish upgrade programs with mfgs to replace pre-epa dragons.
2. Bring OWB to same EPA Standards as our stoves.
3. New tech advancements (that was done by choice, not regulations)
4. Renewable Energy
5. Reduced Fossil fuel usage
6. Zero net carbs.
7. The fact that many cast stoves are themselves made from recycled materials
8. Donor programs for those in need.

Just brain storming.

Like the list, Jags (had to re-read # 6 a few times.... thought we were writing a diet book)

adding Baba's:

9. Expanding the energy efficient property credit to include wood stoves.

10 encourage R&D into biofuel logs and pellets perhaps tax incentives

11 Coupled with#10 ramp up pellet production, to the point where supply = demand Their cost must be reduced so that pellets are viviable alternative to fosil fuel.
Some of the oil comapies incentives should be applied to this fuel scource,

12 Education how to effeciently opperate a stove in the cleanest safest way

elkimmeg said:

11 Coupled with#10 ramp up pellet production, to the point where supply = demand Their cost must be reduced so that pellets are viviable alternative to fosil fuel.

you know one way manufactures will work to developing cleaner stoves? tax incentive based on GPH

elkimmeg said:
elkimmeg said:

you know one way manufactures will work to developing cleaner stoves? tax incentive based on GPH

Yes, exactly. Get the points down first, then stir well, and simmer for awhile. (back to the diet cooking :)) The important ones will float to the top. Skim them off the top and then put the points together in an order that they make sense and flow together. One point strengthening the next. In the end you will have made a case that Johnny Cochran couldn't beat up.

Common folks, if you had the ear of someone that has the influence (political position aside) that this guy has, not to mention the fact that the Heintz family has lots-o-pull with the movers and groovers that reside where our money gets dished out from, what are the hot topics (keep it on topic with regards to our love of the hearth) that you would lay at thier feet? Add to the list.

A couple points:

1. Wind farms off of Cape Cod....Kerry is fighting these tooth and nail, but the "people" want them.
2. Fund the tax credit for biomass stoves - congress approved the credit but did not fund it.
3. Stop creating artificial markets that screw up the real ones - example, big subsidy for ethanol is making a false boom in the midwest and increasing the price of feed corn, food corn and fuel corn.
4. Woodstoves, pellet stoves and even efficient gas units are NEVER mentioned by the government as part of the renewable energy "scene", yet these units are doing a big part. Lat's talk about them instead of just pie-in-the-sky stuff.
5. Personally, I am against most private windmills due to site problems, etc. - so much more is gained from wind farms. So I would not give too large of a credit for small residential units.

elkimmeg said:
elkimmeg said:

Elk,

I like the list Jags gave but minus the "net carbs" one....LOL, but seriously, with several moves afoot to ban woodburning, I think that you must come across very powerfully with the image that the stove industry is VERY environmentally aware and is self-policing....that is, the latest EPA stove regulations (what is it...7 gph???) is, without EPA intervention, being dwarfed by some of the newer stoves that are down to less than 1 gph...and they're doing that on their own and NOT because of EPA regulations. In general, I like the list he gave you....the biggest "black eye" the industry is getting though, comes from the rapid increase in the number of OWB's...people see more and more of these smoke/particulate belchers and it taints the better part of the industry that is making clean, EPA approved wood burning stoves for indoor use.....unless the OWB's get controlled by the EPA, the eco-weenies will come after ALL wood burners......

Elk: Have you been in contact with HPBA? They may be able to give you some advice or information.

HPBA is heavily involved in the EPA woodstove changeout programs like the one in Libby MT where several manufacturers donated product to the cause. http://woodstovechangeout.org/ The Libby changeout is still in process but the expectation is that the results will show that air quality improves significantly when old woodburners are replaced by EPA certified stoves.

HPBA also has a government affairs program - they have a lot of information & resources on the website http://www.hpba.org/index.php?id=6.

Status
Not open for further replies.