restacked the stacked stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
If you did that and dump in one trailer piles and sold it that way, a small guy has a chance.

The only way a guy with a saw and a splitter has a chance is if he likes making firewood.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
If you did that and dump in one trailer piles and sold it that way, a small guy has a chance.

The only way a guy with a saw and a splitter has a chance is if he likes making firewood.
that's wheere I come into play and it's only on the side and I love doing it. I also have many other uses for the trailer I get tons if scrap metal literally and my wood comes from a tree service and I'm thinking twice about stacking all of it. I think I'm going to do two separate heeps. One with just oak and one other mixed hardwoods. Just want to make it look neat.

How does the dump trailer guy measure/and sale, his product? If he just cuts and splits and throws it into the trailer, then dumps it on the lawn of his customer, what unit of measurement does he use for pricing? In his shoes, I think that I would stack a few cords then throw one into the trailer, spread it out pretty good and perhaps mark a line where that one cord meets the side of the trailer, then add a second chord and do the same. Pretty soon he'll be very good at eyeballing the trailer to ascertain the amount of wood he is carrying, because the customer will want to buy in cords, not dump trailers, in order to fairly compare prices. And I would always throw in a little extra, just to make sure.

Kenster said:
How does the dump trailer guy measure/and sale, his product? If he just cuts and splits and throws it into the trailer, then dumps it on the lawn of his customer, what unit of measurement does he use for pricing? In his shoes, I think that I would stack a few cords then throw one into the trailer, spread it out pretty good and perhaps mark a line where that one cord meets the side of the trailer, then add a second chord and do the same. Pretty soon he'll be very good at eyeballing the trailer to ascertain the amount of wood he is carrying, because the customer will want to buy in cords, not dump trailers, in order to fairly compare prices. And I would always throw in a little extra, just to make sure.
it's just simple Math I have a 6x10 trailer plus I Need to put the side boards on. It's just 6 x 10 x just a little over two feet tall stacked and there ya go. What's the difference than a truck?

ecocavalier02 said:
I think I'm going to do two separate heeps. One with just oak and one other mixed hardwoods.

I think that's right, I don't see how you can make it work stacking unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Heck, I can't convince myself that stacking is worth it for myself other than what I want to burn this winter.

That is simple. I had no idea what you dims were and pictured a much larger trailer. You're talking stacked, also. I had pictured the wood just being tossed in loosely, which would net much less than a full cord.

Sounds like you have it nailed.

ecocavalier02 said:
It's just 6 x 10 x just a little over two feet tall stacked and there ya go. What's the difference than a truck?

He's talkin loose tossed vs stacked. With the price of gas and time, I always take the time to stack it in the trailer.

Kenster said:
In the case of my local guy he just fills up the trailer and the amount is measured after it's been dumped and stacked. He has a lot of repeat customers, so they know what they are getting and always seem to be satisfied. The worst variable I have noticed with his wood is some loads have gravel and dirt mixed in with the wood. He gets a loader at the mill to load his trailer, no doubt the loader has to scrape the bottom of the pile sometimes.

SolarAndWood said:
ecocavalier02 said:
It's just 6 x 10 x just a little over two feet tall stacked and there ya go. What's the difference than a truck?

He's talkin loose tossed vs stacked. With the price of gas and time, I always take the time to stack it in the trailer.
I def Plan on stackin it inthe trailer. I was saying I think I'm just going to do some big heels In my yard. Have u been selling decent amount of wood solar?

ecocavalier02 said:
Have u been selling decent amount of wood solar?

lol, no, I'm happy to be rid of my propane tank and still keep my family warm.

Kenster said:
Love that dump trailer!

it is sweet isn't it.. looks happy out there too.

That is a nice rig you have there. I hope the neighbors don't have a problem with all that wood and a business working out if the back yard.

Flatbedford said:
That is a nice rig you have there. I hope the neighbors don't have a problem with all that wood and a business working out if the back yard.
my neighbor is my first customer actually. lol but im giving it to him for free. hes 75 and helped me out more than once. but they dont mind. but that is why i want to keep it neat. ive gotten more organized now so it looks better and ive decided to pile it up neatly. heres some pics and one of me discovering a 50 year old septic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 175
wish you were my neighbor.

good job dishin out the first load for free... good karma

Nice hole you found there. How'd you get out?

Flatbedford said:
Nice hole you found there. How'd you get out?
floor jack then set it on a pallet and then got the hell out fast. Wasn't Fun. Just filled the whole today dump trailer came in handy.

Good thinking. It would have sucked to pay for a wrecker in your own back yard.

Yip

all done.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 100
ecocavalier02 said:

lol, good show. I will never live down with my wife the night I buried my truck in the back yard and had to use all the wire rope and chain I had to pull it 10' up the hill at a time with the backhoe. Better than the shame of calling a wrecker though.

SolarAndWood said:
ecocavalier02 said:

lol, good show. I will never live down with my wife the night I buried my truck in the back yard and had to use all the wire rope and chain I had to pull it 10' up the hill at a time with the backhoe. Better than the shame of calling a wrecker though.
i just bought this truck and because my old pickup wasnt four wheel drive and i use to get stuck like every other week. lol. wife never letting me live it down as well. use to have to call my buddy to pull me out all the time. hurt my pride alot. lol now i thought i was done getting stuck in the yard but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.