Restacking my firewood the easy way.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After you get the wood in toss a pallet or two on the top to give it some air space, throw some clear plastic over the whole thing with a small opening in the highest point and you have a solar kiln... or at least that is what I did and 90days later dry oak :)

That is hard to believe! I'll have to try that some time.

After you get the wood in toss a pallet or two on the top to give it some air space, throw some clear plastic over the whole thing with a small opening in the highest point and you have a solar kiln... or at least that is what I did and 90days later dry oak :)
Thanks Augie , I will give it a try

That is hard to believe! I'll have to try that some time.

Why?

Kiln drying is usually 150ish degrees for a few days, maybe a week. I have recorded temps as high as 140 under the plastic on a 90degree sunny day. Im guessing I have 8hrs of 120 plus temps for 4 days a week, for 12 weeks, Makes for dry wood.

the basic idea is to angle the plastic off the top of the stack, say a 20-45 degree angle.
Is this angle up or down in front ?

This is my usual method of stacking.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20120107_131654.jpg
    IMG_20120107_131654.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 177
Great work there Pete. That will really be nice when done.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Status
Not open for further replies.