Restacking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
End of this winter I noticed my stacks were really looking like a they were ready to bury someone (probably me) alive. I wanted to restack before this happens and do it quick so I can get more wood. Well it took much longer then I expected by finally got it done. I see why my stacks looked so bad. The pallets after four years were quite broken and rotten.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114954335307103330263/albums/6040454093249686033

I used three 2 x 2 x 8 pressure treated with 2x4x4 stringers. I planed to do 4 x 4 x 8 to equal a full cord. Well I got over zealous and at the shortest point is 5 foot high, the tallest 6 foot !!!. I figure I got four stacks roughly 4x5x8 or cord and a quarter. According to my math I have five cords of wood, I estimated only three and I haven't got any since last summer.

I'm pleasantly surprised, and tired. Burning season isn't too far away so I'm happily prepared.

Attachments

• wood01.jpg
    wood01.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 325
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 326
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 324
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: Soundchasm
Everyone has to re-stack from time to time. Just means your wood is seasoning and losing moisture. Its a good thing in its own way. Plus you rotate your stacks :)

Reactions: n3pro
I had to restack rows of oak single stacked with T-Posts. The posts bowed out in the spring and the wood all shifted. In a few weeks it will be heading toward its 3rd winter. Its my 2015-16 wood. I had a woodchuck hole under some of it and several snake nests. Pretty bug free though.

Oh, thought it wasnt drying good so I thought I had several good reasons for the extra work but it was totally fine. The bottom runners had sunk in the ground and I was worried about losing the bottom row to rot. But it was all good. Just leaning precariously.

I had the bright idea of trying to cut down a bunch of small sass , black gum and maples to make a "wood clearing" 3 years ago for some oak /locust stacks.

Had to hack through a ton of regrowth to get to it today and restacked in the shed. Whatta mess. Stuff was pushed over by regrowth, full of weeds, lotsa punk in bottom.
Nasty. My stack in the deep woods is fine.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I have about 3 cords leaning precariously. I wait until they tip over before I restack. I'll be using some of it this winter. I hope it stays up for another 4 months.

I'm no carpenter, but aren't those three 4x4? Very nice and sturdy-no twisted ankes there in the middle of the winter.

I'm no carpenter, but aren't those three 4x4? Very nice and sturdy-no twisted ankes there in the middle of the winter.

Obviously I'm no carpenter either, your right, 4 x 4.

I just wait also for the stacks to fall over and then redo them. I have some right now that are starting lean due to moisture loss. I also take some of the extra pallets that I am not using and will prop them up.

Reactions: tsquini
In my case, I try to tune them up by pounding on the side with an earth tamper. I find when it topples it takes out a lot of the "good" stacking on both sides of the problem area.

It's rare for me to have to restack . . . other than when I move the wood outside to the woodshed . . . and then from the woodshed to the covered porch in the winter.

However, I do take some jaunts around the woodpiles periodically and use a small split or round to tap splits and rounds back into place when it appears as though they have a bit of lean in 'em.

A split works just as good as the tamper, and you don't have to drag it out to the wood pile.

Two words. Claw hammer.

I find stacking 3-4 rows deep and leaning towards the center helps to NEVER need to restack. I even use slightly longer pieces to sort of interweave the stacks together if I have some and throw heavy splits up top over the gap to make them more solid. I then try to forget about them for 3 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.