1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

restore porcelain ( or enamel?) paint on Hearthstone Tucson

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Lee, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee New Member

I have inherited a Hearthstone Tucson , 2004 vintage , with brown porcelain or enamel paint ...the top has several areas that are dull , cloudy, splotchy , etc ... I have tried several cleaning products , light rubbing compound , etc with no luck ...don't know what paint they used , and get no info so far from the factory ( they do sell a porcelain touch up bottle)...I don't want to repaint if possible ... any thoughts about wet sanding with 2000 ? or any other ideas ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    it is a baked porcelain enamel

did you try "goof off" or acetone?

super fine steel wool shouldn't scratch the porcelain(sand paper will however!), but do a small test on an out of the way surface before going hogwild.

re: touch-up,
    their brown is Majolica, or multi tone. And the touch up is single tone, so often the blemish will look better than the touch-up

pictures would be helpful in advising you :)
  3. Lee

Lee New Member

thanks Dave for the ideas , agree that even 2000 grit may be too much ...will try yours ...not sure pics will do it justice but will try a few ... actually I have memories of great ( wood ) fires in a Hearthstone in Nevada City ...maybe it was one of yours !
  4. Lee

Lee New Member

well I tried all your suggestions and no go ...it looks like whatever is wrong is baked right in to the paint not a stain or on top of surface ...I took some pics and will try to figure how to post them ...looks like I may just have to live with this , factory still no help .

Attached Files:

5. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    looks like mineral deposits on the surface to me, i see white stains on cast heat ex changer etc.
    (was the unit stored in a very corrosive environment like a meth lab? lol)

might try "white-off" LINK and steel wool
    (steel is softer than porc. and shouldn't scratch even w/elbow grease)

their brown touch-up will look horrible over such a large area....
  6. Fake coal burner

Fake coal burner Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City Utah
    Try some white vinegar straight on a spot that is hidden let it set on there for a while. wipe with a wet rag and water, dry. It looks like hard water spots..
  7. Lee

Lee New Member

well , think I have found the culprit ... believe it was sprayed with a home fire extinguisher , not good !!! ... so looks like the dark top coat has been toasted by whatever chemical ( halon , PKP , bicarbonate , etc ) that was in extinguisher , and it's shot ...if I want to fix it , new top casting costs $233 , unless there is a miracle fix !!

thanks everyone for your help/ideas ...