Restoring a Buffalo...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WES999

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2008
Mass north of Boston
...Buffalo drill press that is. A friend gave me this last fall, I did not take any before pics but it was
in kind of rough shape, it had been left outside for a while and had a good amount of rust on it.

I dissembled everything and used Zep degreaser to remove the 5 layers of different color paint:rolleyes: ,
cleaned off all the rust and gave it a Rustolium spray can paint job. Replaced the power cord, depth
stop and drive belt. Now it looks almost brand new.:cool:

From what I could find out online it was made in the 60's, maybe it now it will last another 50 years.
DSCF0027.JPG

DSCF0030.JPG
DSCF0028.JPG

Very nice Wes. I love giving new life into old things. That drill press will be good for another generation now.

Nice. They were makers of all sorts of blacksmithing equipment that is still being used today. Gotta love solid American tools.

nice job, looks good

did somebody drill a bunch of holes in the table? or is that something else

Nicely done. It'll outlast most of us with just a little TLC. Rick

How's the spindle? Any runout that's noticable?
The spindle seems to be in good shape, no noticable play, and the bearings run OK.
Very little run-out with a drill in the chuck.

did somebody drill a bunch of holes in the table?
Um.. Yes, I am considering filling them in with JB weld.

Did some checking on this site http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=129
I think my drill was made in the 1950's.

Status
Not open for further replies.