Q&A Restoring Fireplace after insert removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

HAVE A FIREPLACE INSERT. I'VE BEEN TOLD IT'S A BLACK BART. I WANT TO GET RID OF IT AND GO BACK TO HAVING A FIREPLACE FOR OCCASIONAL USE. I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT WHEN IT WAS INSTALLED THE DAMPER WAS REMOVED TO ACCOMMODATE THE INSERT. I'M CLUELESS ON THIS. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT AND AM I GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE SOME PROFESSIONAL WORK DONE TO THE FIREPLACE ONCE I GET THE BLACK BART OUT? THANKS.

Answer:

When you pull out the stove you may find the damper plate was left inside the fireplace behind the stove, or on the smoke shelf above the damper opening. If the plate is there, it's simple for a chimney sweep to reinstall it for you. You may also look for the damper plate in the crawl space of your house or in your garage. Most wood stove installers would not have wanted to take the damper away with them and it was probably left on the premises. If it's missing, a chimney sweep can get a replacement damper plate for you or you may find one at a local brick yard if you're adept at crawling up into the fireplace and measuring the damper frame size and can explain which kind of handle mechanism you'll need. You also can install a top-mount damper that acts as a chimney cap/damper combination, which can also be installed by a professional chimney sweep. Good luck! -Karen Duke Duke Chimney Services www.DukeFire.com

Status
Not open for further replies.