Q&A Restoring Jotul 602, Paint, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Sirs: We bought our second 602 Jotul last fall only to find my husband has become asthmatic so we are now selling it. After taking it out of the fireplace this June and storing it in the garage it now has pit marks on the stove and rust on the burner. I don't think this should have happened so soon. I would like to know how to get the rust off the burner unit as someone will be looking at it soon and is there anything to be done with the pit marks on the body of the stove? Also the first Jotul we purchased in the late 70's has a hair line crack in the back of the stove, can this piece be replaced? We had much enjoyment and warmth from this unit and it lasted quite along time. We are looking into your gas inserts and hope to have one by this winter season

Answer:

Rust on cast-iron is usually just on the surface and is nothing to be concerned about. On the painted part of the stove, simply rub with some steel wool or a wire brush and repaint with stove paint (1200 degree)...On the machined griddle, use fine emery cloth..and use a little oil after you get it back to bare metal. This will protect it.

Yes, you can get parts for older Jotul Stoves. Check out the Jotul website.

Link: Jotul Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.