Restoring VC Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-trema

Sep 18, 2012
NL
Helly Guys,

After selling my VC Intrepid 1302 i was searching for another stove.
I wanted to buy an VC Intrepid 1990. I know it's a stove with high maintenance costs. But i use it for supplemental heat. I burn about 3 m3 per year so I do don't use it that much.
After a couple of weeks I found a stove from an older couple that has been pretty beaten up. I bought the stove a couple of days later for €200,-

After I brought the stove home I started to disassembling it.
The ty-rods broke of when I try to loosen it up. But other then that al the bolds came out ok.

Here is a list I want to do.

- Replace Refractory Assembly
- Secondary Air Probe
- Throat Hood
- Damper Housing
- Ty-rods
- Sandblast all parts
- Give it a fresh paint.
The catalytic element seems to been in good shape, so i will put it back in.

I started to drill out the broken ty-rods and repaired the thread with an helicoil insert and convert it to metric thread.
After I cleaned all the joints and seams the parts went to the sandblaster.
I painted the parts separately en put the casting back together with new ty-rods and cement seals.

When I disassembled the stove I could not see properly where there are rope and cement seals.

Now the question is does anyone have the service/rebuild manual for this stove?

Thanks Xander

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 704
The 1990 should be a decent small stove. The manual parts diagram only shows gasketing (3/16") on the door glass which seems a bit odd.

Try googling intrepid ii 1308 exploded parts diagram. This is essentially same stove and should help you figure out gasket locations and sizes. Always a good idea to take pictures during disassembly. From what I recall, there are gaskets at griddle, flue collar, glass, damper door, and the interior back plate.

I went through the same process a few years ago and have the illustrated parts breakdown and rebuild manual with photos for the Model 1990. PM me so we can exchange contact info and I'll gladly forward you everything I have.

Nick

Sorry for the late reaction but I was on holiday. I have contacted the importer in Belgium for the manual but still received no response.
So the customer service here is just as bad as in the USA.

Nick I'll send you a PM. Thanks in advance.

Xander

Status
Not open for further replies.