Restrictor Plates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbilt

Oct 13, 2007
Nor Cal
I have seen the occasional mention of auger restrictor plates to reduce pellet feed volume.

I also saw some reference online to my particular model of dinosaur stove, mentioning a restrictor plate as the only way to control excessive pellet feed rates. (I am unable to find that link right now)

Since this method seems to be in use on other brands, does anyone have a photo of one?

If I fabricate a restrictor, which portion of the auger intake should be restricted?

On the Quad units there is a plate connected to a rod with a slot in it. The slot goes over a stud with a wing nut on it. You can then slide it up and down over the opening in the bottom of the hopper to adjust the feed rate and lock the wing nut down to keep it in place.

Thanks for that...
Does it cover the top/bottom/left/right of the auger intake?

The upper most part, all the way across. This is a Quad unit so its a gravity feed system, not a bottom feed. Not sure what you have.

jtp10181 said:
The upper most part, all the way across. This is a Quad unit so its a gravity feed system, not a bottom feed. Not sure what you have.

My stove draws pellets from the bottom of the hopper (duh), and then the auger pulls them up to the feed chute, where they then drop about 5-6 inches into the burn pot. I assume this is "gravity feed".

Thanks for the restrictor info. It does not appear that I can increase the draft air or exhaust draw, so reducing the amount of pellets fed might be the answer.

I know there has to be a tech out there who is familiar with this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.