Resurrecting an abused log splitter, any small engine mechanics out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
A friend of mine has an old homemade log splitter.
Hasn't been used in five years and was left uncovered outside in the elements.
He said if i can "get it goin, you can use it all you want"
After much consideration, and airing up both flat tires, i pulled it to my dads shop.
I found it wasn't getting fuel so i changed the fuel pump and upon further investigation
found sludge in the gas tank. I flushed the tank and ran new fuel lines. Now getting clean fuel.
After charging the battery and cleaning the plugs, it was actually getting spark.
But would not turn over and start, my dad cleaned the carburetor and coil.
We finally got it to start. My question is the engine runs but it pops and sputters and just dosent sound good.
Is there anything else i can try here? It is a two cylinder Onan engine. I am guessing a mid 70's model.
With a 2 cylinder there is no timing right? I know just enough to get it running but hoping to fine tune it a bit.
The hydraulics work like a charm. And the pump is a monster. I would guess this thing is at least a 25-30 ton splitter.
I will post some pics when i get some.

Thanks for any help on this!

Brad

flat twin? super smooth running engines. I have an 18 flat twin, just started it tonight in fact, to purge the fuel, Seafoam it, and get ready for winter storage.

some possiblities:
-prone to valves sticking or seats corroding if water gets into mufflers. Not good.
-Mouse/spider nests in mufflers or air cleaners
-Mostl likely needs a good through carb cleaning. every piece apart, carb cleaner and air through every passage. Not just a spray and put back together. try that first.

k

Aha! the air cleaner. Yeah i should have checked that.
We did reroute the muffler, it was 10" from your ear when operating.
But did not check the exhaust directly out of the engine.
This thing is a beast and cant wait to get it purring.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Brad

If you can't rebuild the carb, do a seafoam treatment.

Heres what I did with my boat:

use 1 bottle of seafoam to 1 gal gas in a 1.5 gal gas can.

disconnect fuel line from tank and route into gas can.

run for 15 min.

sit for 15 min.

it will smoke like a banshee.

repeat running and sitting for 15 min intervals until the gas is gone or it stops smoking.

bfunk13 said:
My question is the engine runs but it pops and sputters and just dosent sound good.
Is there anything else i can try here?

Brad

Pops out of the carb or exhaust?. Pops even when cold?.
Just a guess but i'd guess that either an intake or exhaust valve isn't seating (depending on which the "pop" is coming from). Easy fix if that's the problem.

a couple of years ago I was given a splitter that sounds similar to the one you have. Has briggs motor, Im guessing 5 hp.Sat outside for 3 years uncovered.
I was able to get it started after awhile by doing the same things you did to yours. I changed out the hydraulic fluid because
of water in the tank and purged the cylinder until clear of moisture. Its was sputtering like yours so I did disassemble the carb
and spray every orifice with carb cleaner. Still sputtered. So I changed out the points and condenser because I felt there was
weak spark. And this solved that problem. The only other thing was straighten out linkage rod for the governor. So far its been running
pretty good for a 25 to 30 year old splitter.

LOL- smokes like a banshee... maybe he can get it screaming like a smokestack...

Remember- fuel, air, spark, exhaust. Sounds like good advice above- just cleaning out what you already have.

Good luck

Not sure if its applicable, but there used to be a retofit to convert small engines to electronic ignition, seemed to solve a lot of problems.

Thanks for the replies fellas!
I will try your suggestion this weekend.
A top to bottom cleaning at least, may try that seafoam treatment.

Brad

Lots of good advice here, If it were me I would clean the points, re-set them and try that. Next step is a thorough cleaning of the carb and seafoming of the engine. Have you ran it under load? If you try and it falters, do a compression check on BOTH cylinders, Ive seen a dead cylinder cause some strange stuff.. By any chance is there moisture in the fuel/engine? Remember how wet wood pops a lot, damp engines can act the same way.. Those old onans are expensive to repair, but priceless when running correctly.. I have one on an old miller welder that to this day is a monster of a welder, just wish I were a better welder..

Jason

We got it runnin'
And our wood splitting is done.
My father cleaned the carburetor piece by piece, and she runs like a champ.
Thanks to you guys for the help!
I will post a pic when i get one.

Brad

bfunk13 said:
Thanks for the replies fellas!
I will try your suggestion this weekend.
A top to bottom cleaning at least, may try that seafoam treatment.

Brad

If you can resurrect that splitter it's definately time well spent! a splitter like that would cost more than $1000.00 today.. Worse case replace the motor for a few hundred clams and you're good to go..

Good Luck,
Ray

kenny chaos said:
seafoam???

Seafoam is a fuel cleaner stabilizer upper cylinder lube of all sorts. An all around product that many people run in there cars boats and pretty much anything that has an engine.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

kenny chaos said:
seafoam???

Around here they sell it at Autozone.. I used it on my motorcycle when the carbs acted up..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.