Retro-fit a masonry firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel73

Nov 28, 2009
Ky
Hi all!

So I have a heatilator HF 36A prefab fire place manufactured in late 1986.....and want a stove insert.
I really like the Jotuls and now I've found my options are narrowed down to the C 350 beacsue I have a pre-fab fireplace......and I can't even be sure my prefab unit is up tp the UL 127 code required by Jotul.

.....and I'm not even sure if the C 350 it'll fit in there because I don't really understand how the stove inserts are fitted into the prefab unit. Does it drop into the fire place like it would a masonry fireplace or is part/all of the prefabed unit removed and then the stove insert put in place? If it's supposed to fit like it would in a masonry unit, it won't fit :(

Anyone had their prefabed set up totally removed and replaced with a masonry fire box?

What did it cost?

It wouldn't have to be pretty.......currently the back side of the fireplace & chimney are in the garage surrounded by a cinder-block facade. I assume a masonry box could be sealed up in a similar manor.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.