Retro fit journey continues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracks74

Jan 3, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
So you may recall, I have been trying to figure out how to install a wood burning unit where we currently have a gas burning unit that does little to nothing to hear our large great room.

I had consultations with 2 different Professionals. The first company immediately came up with what will likely be the solution and thinks it will cost around $6-6500. The second company, which is more well known and established in this market, told me that I had to tear everything out and the cost would be $20,000 in the end.

I thought I would share the situation and see what the forum thinks.

Currently, I have a 6' wide by 18' tall fake stone faced corner wall. It is hollow space behind the fake stone facing other than the gas unit in the hollow area. There is a wood mantel that is about 55" above the floor in the middle of the stone faced wall. Based on reading (and the wise words of Begreen) it seems like the best option for efficient heat with a real wood fire, I think a ZC fireplace unit would be our best unit to install.

We plan on removing the stone face wall from the mantel down to the floor and removing the gas unit. We will frame up the area correctly to install a ZC unit, install the double lined chimney behind the stone wall and through the ceiling above to the correct roof height. Then, we will rebuild the stone face and mantel below the tear out location. The mantel will now go full width and we are considering having the stone a completely different color versus trying to match the old grout and stone that was there. In essence it will look intentional.

For pics of the area, feel free to check out my last thread about building an alcove for a wood burning stove. I am at a remote computer tonight and can't add it to this thread. Sorry...

So, what is everyones thought on my plan? Does anyone have similar examples to share?
Thanks,
Kevin

Here is a picture of my current setup. Also, the stone face measures 76" across. We are thinking we will build a wider stone face below a new mantel to allow whatever size unit I want...

Attachments

• gasfireplace.jpg
    gasfireplace.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 209
We do a few of these every year. It's pretty straight forward, although messy. Your first bid was right on track, expect to pay $5K-$8K for something like this depending on the unit you pick. We often do the Kozy Z-42 in an instance like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.