retrofit pre fab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Has anyone had or know of a successful retrofit for a prefab fireplace. I have an older majestic prefab fireplace with a triple wall chimney. I have been toying with the idea of putting a pellet or gas burning device in it as it.
I have given some thought to the Napoleon incert. The directions with that one allows it to be used even by building a false fireplace shell around it. My fireplace opening has a limit of 22 in in ht. I have a raised hearth in front of the opening. Years ago, when I didn't know any better, I had a small wood/coal combo stove sitting on the hearth and just ran a exhaust pipe up the fireplace chimney. While it worked, I have no idea if it was up to codes. Today, I'm not willing to take such risks.
While in my current situation, with the pellet stove on the lower level, I am successfully heating my home, it would be nice to have a real fire in the livingroom space. At one point we had glass doors on it We burned wood with the glass closed to limit heat loss. For now, we have one ot those false electric log sets with the mirrors. Look fairly real, but just isn't it.

Attachments

• fireplace 1.jpg
    fireplace 1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 275
I toyed with the idea myself......then realized i had a corner in my living room i NEVER used and convinced the wife she never needed the corner either.....It was MUCH more cost effeicient to go with the free standing unit And i still get to enjoy the asthetics?? of a real wood fire every so often. Though there are very many options if u want to convert the PRE-fab, Almost every dealer i went to was able to do their own conversion with a pellet insert, though i do remember them saying that for a pellet insert they need to actually destroy the prefab firebox so if you would want to ever go back to it you couldn't....not sure why you would though. I didn't go with a gas insert simply because the price of propane is outrageuous where i live......

Status
Not open for further replies.