Retrofit Safety Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starr-Point

Jan 24, 2006
Hi, all - my chimney mason and sweep gave my 1897 chimneys the ok for burning (if only it would get cold enough for my antique coal burner!) Just needed a little repointing.

I have a fireplace mantel, hole, and firebox in the living room that, believe it or not, has never been used. It was blocked up with the original plaster for who knows what reason. Mason says the box is ok, but since the flue and all are so old, I'm going to have the chimneys lined that aren't already.

Here's the question. I'd like to have a small woodstove in that living room as opposed to just a fireplace (I have lots of hardwood to burn), but the marble tile hearth extends only 20" from the mantel. It's hard for me to imagine a stove taking up so little room. And at the same time, I don't want anything mucking up my 115 year old oak floors.

Think I'm trying to have it both ways, or does anyone have any unique suggestions?

As an FYI, the house is 2300 sq ft, with oil-fired hot water baseboard heat. There is the coal stove I've posted about before in one room, and the fireplace in the opposite room, along with another fireplace upstairs. Point is, this does not need to be a big-mama stove in terms of heat production, but the less I need to run the oil heat, the better - as if I needed to say that here.

Thanks again for your help.

The hearthstone homestead stove is designed to be a hearth mount. its fairly narrow and would have to go back in the box a bit, but its a perfect stove for the application. if you cant get it back far enough you could always buy a hearth extension. www.hearthstonestoves.com
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.