retrofitting a 1990's Heritage wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john smallwood

Feb 14, 2009
Goderich ontario
uwo.ca
Hello, all: I own a 1994 Heritage wood stove that seems to be doing an adequate job, but I have two questions:
1. The six inch black single wall interior pipe with elbow goes out into an 8" insulated pipe into the garage and up about 18'. Does the larger size pipe make for a slower burn and a slower start to the fire? I'm wondering if the larger outside pipe limits the amount of draft I'm getting. In warmer weather the pipes take a long time to heat up and draft properly.
2. Is it possible to install tubes in this large firebox and thus improve the efficiency of the stove? I clean the pipes about every six weeks and take out about 1/4" of soot some of which has flaked off in fairly large chunks. I'm hoping that by installing perforated tubes similar to those in newer stoves that I can get a cleaner burn and economize on wood. A friend of mine thinks this might be possible, but how to start? With brackets welded into the box to hold the tubes, for instance? Would such additions negatively affect the flow that the stove was designed to produce in the first place? Or is a new stove the answer?
Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.