retrofitting door with glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2014
CT
I have what seems to be a mama bear style home made stove with added baffle. It currently has a cast door with a draft wheel to control the air intake, says "alagash". Ide like to fab a replacement door with a window and create a air intake on the stove that also provides an air wash.

Im looking for input on the design of the air control. Should I put fisher knobs knobs on either side to a manifold with a slit to was glass? Do I need to have air flowing from above window and below? Where is the ideal location go ait to enter stove?

Thanks in advance
Ray.

Why not buy a stove that has all those features already plus proper secondary combustion, instead of sinking even more money and time in an inefficient old appliance? I think you will need to be really lucky to get the air wash just right that it keeps the glass clean without causing a runaway fire. There is a reason that stove companies employ engineers to design and test their prototypes.

Im very aware it would be easier to just replace stove but it is out of the question for financial reasons at the moment. I have access to steel and can weld so would like to give it a try. Also plan to add secondary combustion tubes in the future. I enjoy modding like a challenge.

Youtube has some stuff you might be interested in. There's few guys that have retrofitted secondary burn tubes.

Moved to the Fisher forum for more info on modifications.

Following. I'm considering adding both modifications to my wood furnace also; primarily the secondary burn tubes.

I completely understand your frustration on the EPA units. The ones for my setup start at $3000, and that doesn't include HVAC ductwork, delivery and install. We're talking $6000 total on a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.