Review of Ted's DVD "Heating with Wood"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my feedback to Ted on the DVD set he produced, edited, and presented. Kudos to a well-done and professional product.
This could be a tremendous help to new burners. I know it took me a year and a half to learn what was in these DVDs :exclaim:

The Heating with wood DVD Set

What a great wealth of information for the new Wood Burner. I feel
this should be a gift from the stove shop for every new purchaser of a
Hearthstone Stove and all stoves in general. It presents the ABCs of
wood burning in a clear, concise manner for a new user. Disc 1
provides a logical approach to choosing; installing and operating a
Woodstove it then expands into the safety aspects and what is needed
to safely burn your stove. I feel the Chimfax products should be added
as my local FD uses them and they will put out a chimney fire. This
could be added to chapter 4 with minor editing additions.

The second DVD was really a treat!!!!!
This has been needed for some time and fits the bill for new users of
wood burning and gathering wood correctly and safely. I really
appreciate the safety equipment. I bought it all Helmet, Chaps, and
gloves and folks around here think I’m nuts but one thing I learned in
the Military was safety first. Best videos I’ve seen on saw
maintenance, if maintained a saw can last a long time. I think every
couple of years a saw need to go to a shop to check things for the
less mechanical user as they have technician for this.

Teds goody box was great especially the tree identification it really
shows the bark and leaf structure together for easy identification.

Tom Roberts

USA Retired

Living in Michigan

Burning Wood and Staying warm.

Ditto to Downs Summary. Excellent step by step instructional video. This video should be part of every stove purchase or included in every stove purchase. I would rate this the best training video that I've seen on woodstoves, the best instructional video that I've found, even better than the internet short video's. Yes the Chimex would be a good addition... Good work Tom and Deb.....I reccomend this video to all wood burners..

Thanks
John

I too think Ted & Deb Sokolowski did one heck of a job with their DVD set.
I might argue against a NEWBIE running a wood-burning appliance with the front door open,
but all in all their procedures are acceptable, correct & safe.
Some other tips that I might add are to cut your initial kindling no larger than your fingers &
the first pieces of wood (splits) no larger than your forearms.
Another starting tip is to crumble a piece of newspaper, stuff it up on the baffle & light it
first to get the draft established, rather than waving a burning torch back and forth...
The door maintenance was a good subject to cover, as well. I instruct wood burners on this
procedure many times each winter & the only changes I'd make are to use an old screwdriver
that has had the tip rounded off on a surface grinder to better conform to the gasket groove &
to add anti-seize compound the the glass retainer screw threads for easier future removal...
The chain saw sharpening section was also very informative & I'll admit that I need to review my
own maintenance procedures...
We offer the DVD set at retail to our customers, & after (finally) reviewing it,
I will urge new wood burners to purchase it.
Bravo! Job well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.