Reviews on Mt Vernon 300 watt ignitors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hooter04

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2010
Upstate NY
Just wondering if anybody had any reviews on the 300 watt ignitors.I just put one in today,and wanted to see if anybody has had one for a while.I believe they came out about a year ago.

The 300W units sold on ebay have a note saying that these units are for pellets only (not corn).

New!
SRV7000-647- Heating Element,Igniter-18"
300 Watt Loop Igniter;

PELLET ONLY.
NOT FOR CORN.

The 380W unit does not have that same note and it is $29 shipped.

what did you pay for it?

Whats the idea behind a lower watt igniter?

The lower watt and an update on the fuel tables is reported to save on the life of the igniters.

Eric

I only burn wood pellets in this particular stove.I bought 2 ignitors back in September for like $70.00 online,1 500 watt and the 300watt.I have used both this season.

Quadra-Fire currently offers three updates for any older (pre November 2011) Mt Vernon's freestanding and inserts. To solve ignitor issues.
The updates are:
Burnpot update
4.0 Fuel Tables
300 Watt Ignitor

As many people may know the old igniters and fuel tables would kill an ignitor every year or more depending on home size and how the customer uses the stove.

If you do these 3 updates (which I did a lot of in November 2011) AND the customer uses their stove on Automatic and ATLEAST a 1.5 temperature differential I would expect to see about 3 years out of an ignitor average that means some people may get two some could even push four but who knows exctally it hasn't been tested long enough yet

Kory, thanks for the feedback. I'd been wondering what kind of life to expect from the ignitor. With the autoclean my stove cycles about 5 times a day.

How fast are folks going through these Quad igniters? The stock loop design seems pretty solid. I had the Quad 1200i for 5 yrs and never burned through an igniter. I sold it with the spare it came with still in the box.

It's on the Mt.Vernon stoves that were having the problems.I haven't heard about any ignitor problems with the 1200i stoves.

Quadra-Fire currently offers three updates for any older (pre November 2011) Mt Vernon's freestanding and inserts. To solve ignitor issues.
The updates are:
Burnpot update
4.0 Fuel Tables
300 Watt Ignitor

As many people may know the old igniters and fuel tables would kill an ignitor every year or more depending on home size and how the customer uses the stove.

If you do these 3 updates (which I did a lot of in November 2011) AND the customer uses their stove on Automatic and ATLEAST a 1.5 temperature differential I would expect to see about 3 years out of an ignitor average that means some people may get two some could even push four but who knows exctally it hasn't been tested long enough yet
Would having the fuel tables updated be a warranty item or would I have to pay a service call to have my tables updated? I really wish Quadra Fire would come up with a way for owners to upgrade their own tables through the computer or something.

Would having the fuel tables updated be a warranty item or would I have to pay a service call to have my tables updated? I really wish Quadra Fire would come up with a way for owners to upgrade their own tables through the computer or something.
I have been wondering the same thing. I would think you would have to pay a fee, but could the dealer install the update if you just took your t-stat to them? It is essentially the brains of the stove.

It would seem to me that if Quad finds it necessary to change the fuel tables, they should upgrade for free. To me it would appear they are admitting they got it wrong the first couple times, if they keep upgrading.

You will have to pay a service call. Just pay someone at the end of the heating season to overhaul your stove and make sure you let them know you want the 4.0 fuel tables. Have them clean the entire unit and everything so it's like brand new! Probably cost you around $200 or less

You will have to pay a service call. Just pay someone at the end of the heating season to overhaul your stove and make sure you let them know you want the 4.0 fuel tables. Have them clean the entire unit and everything so it's like brand new! Probably cost you around $200 or less
Thats OK, but I do all the work on the stoves myself, no need to spend $200 for a spring cleaning. Thats why I feel Quad should make the upgrades available online to the stove owners.

Call your dealer and ask, its unfortunate that the pellet stove companies and dealers basically have you by the balls for warranty work.

It would seem to me that if Quad finds it necessary to change the fuel tables, they should upgrade for free. To me it would appear they are admitting they got it wrong the first couple times, if they keep upgrading.
i understand as the owner you want your machine working as well as possible but It is not uncommon though for companies to over the years "upgrade" or change the logic of their control boards to work better. Harman has had many changes to their control board they are on revision E for control board ending in 5886, before that they had other control board part numbers and revisions to those too, is harman suppose to give a new control board to every owner of a harman stove? the fact that quad offers the fuel tables to be updated instead of replacing the whole control board is an advancement in stoves technology imo....

I spent almost 18 years turning wrenches in a GM garage. They were constantly releasing calibration updates for modules. It would only be mandatory(recall) if it was safety related. All others were addressed only if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.