Revisiting .....Starting A Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo

Jan 27, 2009
Northeastern, N.J.
I started a thread a while ago about the best ways to start a fire for a cold stove, and I got some interesting recommendations. Well .... I just wanna say that I took some of those recommendations and they have worked like a charm for me. First and foremost the most helpful hint I got was to bunch one large sheet of newspaper and put it in the empty cold stove and light it at all its points, so the newspaper lights quickly. Once this burns out I do it again and this then warms the flue and starts a draft in just about every instance. Only when stove is severely cold will I get a small backup after the first bunched newspaper. When I put the second one in it starts the draft EVERY TIME.

In the past I would put the splits in the stove and then tied 6 newspaper knots and put them in the stove with the kindling wood. The problem with that method when the stove is cold is I guess there are too many objects competing for oxygen in the stove, and things tend to smolder and cause a big smoke back up.

Anyway, today I started a fire after 3 days of no fires. Stove was cold. I cheated a bit though and put a couple of small splits in N/S, and then bunched one newspaper put it between the splits and lit it at all points. I then put the second bunched newspaper in, and to my amazement the splits caught fire ! This was a cold stove minutes before ! I usually put in a 1/4 super cedar, kindling and 6 newspaper knots to catch fire to the splits. Figuring the fire would go out, I put 3 pieces of kindling E/W on top the splits and the fire took off. No more newspaper, no super cedar.

No doubt the wood was probably really seasoned as has been discussed on this forum constantly. But second to the importance of seasoned wood was using bunched newspaper alone to get the draft going. I can't help but stress the importance of this to all novice burners who start fires from cold stoves on a regular basis.

Weekend burner here. I tried a "top down" start for the first time on Friday night. Put a couple of good sized splits in the bottom (on last week's ashes and bits of charcoal), smaller kindling on top of them, two pieces of fatwood on top of that and a couple of newspaper twists. Opened the damper all the way, lit the paper and shut the door. At first, it looked like the paper was just going to sputter out but I sat tight and watched and all of a sudden, it took off. Very satisfying and very effective. No need to worry about the heavy splits extinguishing the kindling underneath. I think I'm a convert.

Not sure if I'm a top down or bottom up burner. What I do is put 2 splits in N/S. Then I put 3 twists of newspaper between the splits. I then put 3 large pieces of kindling E/W on top of the splits. I then put a couple more little kindling on top, then I put 3 more newspaper twists on top of the kindling. I light the newspaper on the bottom and top at the same time and there she goes. Would this be considered a top down fire or bottom up ?

At first I was down on "Top-Down", but I realized that I was going about it all wrong,
and expecting too much from it with my stove setup.

I found out what wors best for me is to use smaller wood entirely for top-down burning.
It allows me to get the fire started in the morning, and leave it unattended while I do
other things. It sort of buys me time, but gives me a reliable starting burn.

Good point about getting a draft going with newspaper.
I had some troubles with draft, on a -20 day with a cold stove.
Heavy air to get moving.
I finally ended up cheating, went outside, pulled the clean out plug,
held burning newspaper up into it till it sucked the paper from my hand.
Then went back in & started a fire.
Open some doors to let all the newspaper smoke out of the house from the first 3 tries. LOL
Live & learn :)

Hey guys

I guess some tricks work for different people. I simple make a few paper knots, lie some small splits N/S and then E/W (layering). I then make a paper "torch". I open my bypass, light the torch and place the torch right in the back of the stove almost inside the bypass flaps. This heats the stove directly. I drop the torch after about 4-5 seconds and light my knots.

One day though, things didn't go so well. I have an outside chimney in an air tight house. Well well well...I had a BAD downdraft. I was like "yeah, I'll show you!". I tried the above way and it didn't work. My paper smoldered...and smoldered...and smoldered! I could not see inside the stove. I was cursing and running around, not sure what to do. Open the door to let in more oxygen?? BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong answer. The smoke started coming out from my primary air intake!!! Anyway, I just let it sit and had to get fans, open windows, etc.

Heed my advice: dont try to fight against a mighty downdraft. Mine was bad that day. Opening a window did NOT help equilibrate the pressure (normally a downdraft is a difference in pressure outside and inside, opening a window normalizes the pressure UNLESS it is due to wind) Women (wives) don't like a smell like that in the house. I think my wife said something along the lines of "I am gonna go down there and throw that thing out the window" to which I replied " at least I opened the window for you already" She laughed.

Andrew

Opening a door or window WILL help with wind-induced downdraft, as long as the door or window is on the upwind side of the house. If it's on the downwind or crosswind sides, it may only make the situation worse. I used to have downdraft problems with a stone-cold stove and chimney, and often it could not even be fixed by blowing a propane torch up the flue for 20 minutes. But opening a door or window upwind fixes it every time.

Here's a word that will show you have graduated from starting fires with newspaper: cardboard.

Need an extra kick? Slap some left over pan grease or oil on the cardboard.

My secret weapon for using no kindling is placing a few dried ("crispy" dry) citrus rinds in with the cardboard. This works as well as "fat wood" without the price tag.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "Work smarter, not harder."

Swedishchef said:
Hey guys

One day though, things didn't go so well. I have an outside chimney in an air tight house. Well well well...I had a BAD downdraft. I was like "yeah, I'll show you!". I tried the above way and it didn't work. My paper smoldered...and smoldered...and smoldered! I could not see inside the stove. I was cursing and running around, not sure what to do. Open the door to let in more oxygen?? BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong answer. The smoke started coming out from my primary air intake!!! Anyway, I just let it sit and had to get fans, open windows, etc.

Andrew

I also have a tight house and found out the hard way that the gas clothes dryer causes quite down draft in my chimney...opening a window does the trick when needed.

Garett

My cold start procedure.

Ball up a sheet of newspaper, light it up, place in stove. Throw in a few more loosely balled up sheets of newspaper. Quickly cover with a double handful of splitter trash followed by 4 small splits. Should take 45 seconds, tops.

Go shower and shave and enjoy air drying in front of the warm stove...maybe throw on a larger split.

If it's real cold I load a top down fire with the knotted newspaper and kindling on the top and before lighting it I
preheat the flue with a propane torch for a couple minutes and just like a previous answerer said I open up a window
slightly and everything goes just fine.

If I have to start a fire quick, I lay down a flat piece of wood slop a heaping tablespoon
of chafing gel (jelled methanol) on it , some twigs and a few small logs.
Light the gel - Done
Works everytime. I know it's not a recommended use, but it burns clean with no residue,
It stays lit, starts the draft without newspaper and it's downdraft proof.
It also has to be safer to burn a small amount in a vented fireplace than under a warming tray in the kitchen

ewgny said:
If I have to start a fire quick, I lay down a flat piece of wood slop a heaping tablespoon
of chafing gel (jelled methanol) on it , some twigs and a few small logs.
Light the gel - Done
(SNIP)

Anyone can buy and light up commercial fire starters (AKA burning up dollars).

The idea here is to be green, innovative and save the dollars.

Aye,
Marty

Why is the object to be Green? Hello were burning wood here!

I'm not a green zombie.

Personally I believe Green is the new Red
There is nothing wrong with burning a tablespoon of
alcohol. It's a heck of a lot cleaner than the wood.
It's a good tip for someone to fall back on if they are having trouble
lighting one up, it's fast and it's cheap. It also doesn't have a wax residue like
the starters on the market

I use dryer lint inside of an egg carton piece (I usually melt a little wax on them, but not necessary). One will do. I rake the old coals forward, put the egg carton piece in the middle, a few little pieces of bark or kindling. I light the egg carton and get a fire every time. I am throwing in big logs with a couple of minutes and the old coals become new ones. Paper does not burn near as long as dryer lint. Try it sometime, what do you guys do with all that old lint and egg cartons anyway? Throw it out I assume ( gees I guess I am green without even trying).

golfnwoodnut said:
I use dryer lint inside of an egg carton piece (I usually melt a little wax on them, but not necessary). One will do. I rake the old coals forward, put the egg carton piece in the middle, a few little pieces of bark or kindling. I light the egg carton and get a fire every time. I am throwing in big logs with a couple of minutes and the old coals become new ones. Paper does not burn near as long as dryer lint. Try it sometime, what do you guys do with all that old lint and egg cartons anyway? Throw it out I assume ( gees I guess I am green without even trying).

I'm assuming you are not using the poly/plastic/foam-type egg cartons?? So, just pile some dryer lint in one of the indentations and pour a little wax on it? Are you then dividing the indentations into individual starters or are you throwing the whole egg carton in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.