Reviving an old Tarm boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phbrush

Jul 28, 2008
Central Maine
I'm in the process of bringing 1980 model OTK35 Tarm boiler on line after many years in storage. I've lost the owner's manual and was wondering if anyone has scanned the important portions (starting, hookup) of the manual. I do not intend to use the oil portion of the boiler, but the burner opening might be a way for me to introduce a forced draft into the unit. Has anyone done this before ? I know it will never be as efficient as the newer generation boilers, but it might be easier to control than the original automatic draft mechanism, which unfortunately is missing its bi-metal insides. It has to be better than using oil to heat the workshop which fortunately has a radiant floor. I'd appreciate any advice from the experts.

Thanks, Pete

You should be able to buy a manual for that boiler from Tarm USA...they definitely had copies of the OT manuals and parts list.

Introducing air on the oil side would not seem to do anything as it is a separate chamber, but I could imagine some scenarios where you could tune up the unit. You can buy replacements for that control......again, from Tarm...or other sources (boilers) that use similar controls. The insides were not bi-metal, rather these were liquid expansion - and very accurate. You can probably also get them from EKO since their coal boiler uses the same type.

Using a good chimney...or possible a chimney draft inducer (pulling rather than pushing) might be one good way to get the thing burning more efficiently....that boiler does use a crossdraft of some type - when you move the bypass in the right position.

Maybe we have an OT user here who can get you a manual if Tarm cannot.....but try them....and let me know what you come up with.

The enclosed cutaway might help you with understanding the interior.

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 455
Thanks very much for the info. Since I posted the message I got a quote back for a new Samson control valve for $150. Seems rather steep considering what it is, so I am looking for alternate sources. Also, I have found a copy of the Oct 79 PM magazine on Amazon and intend to read it over to get a general idea of what it was supposed to do 'in the day'. I am in the process of cleaning and reassembling it so I can pressure test the thing before I go much further. Thanks again, any other help and advice is appreciated !

Status
Not open for further replies.