Rhino Chains/Edit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I ordered some chains for the front tires on the rhino yesterday then picked them up today, will put them on in the morning. Also stopped to pick up another tow strap for winching plus a IR Thermometer made by EXTECH.

Once I get the chains on I'll see how much beter the traction is and if it's enough I'll try this hill without the trailer first, still some nice topped off Sugar Maple up here.

Put the chains on this morning then took to the trails, attached are some pictures.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2598.jpg
    100_2598.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_2273.jpg
    100_2273.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_2275.jpg
    100_2275.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_2599.jpg
    100_2599.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_2600.jpg
    100_2600.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_2601.jpg
    100_2601.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 230
Looks pretty zap. With my hills around here and a plow on the ATV(little ground clearance) I am staying out of the woods. Cutting close to the house now to make room for a pole barn to hold the toys.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Looks pretty zap. With my hills around here and a plow on the ATV(little ground clearance) I am staying out of the woods. Cutting close to the house now to make room for a pole barn to hold the toys.

When do you think you'll start the pole barn?

Zap

If ya don't mind me asking, what did those chains run ya?

I have been thinking of chaining up the Polaris tires this year instead of switching over to the tractor when the snow gets deep.
Winching a stuck Quad is much easier than winching a stuck tractor.;)

The chains on the front are 9 inch v-bar, sub total 48.95 plus tax 3.43 = 52.38. The back chains seemed to be about the same price two years ago.

Zap

Wow Life is looking like a lot of FUN!

Nice Zap - did you give them a workout today? How'd they do? I'm thinking of a rear set for my ATV for plowing - it is fine for the most part, unless I plow into a drift and the nose is down a bit - a little tough backing back out. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Nice Zap - did you give them a workout today? How'd they do? I'm thinking of a rear set for my ATV for plowing - it is fine for the most part, unless I plow into a drift and the nose is down a bit - a little tough backing back out. Cheers!

I never would've made it without them, we received another two inches of snow yesterday plus another 3-5 starting at four today. Coming out I got stuck the other day today it was a breeze, if you get chains make sure you get the v-bar.

I have four link v-bar but the two link v-bar will give you more traction, I'll be looking for some two link for next year. (Back Tires only)

Zap

zapny said:
NH_Wood said:

I never would've made it without them, we received another two inches of snow yesterday plus another 3-5 starting at four today. Coming out I got stuck the other day today it was a breeze, if you get chains make sure you get the v-bar.

I have four link v-bar but the two link v-bar will give you more traction, I'll be looking for some two link for next year. (Back Tires only)

Zap

Great Zap - glad they're working well for you. I'll keep that in mind when it comes time. Cheers!

I used to run chains on my yard tractor in the winter (snowblower) and this summer I put a set of ITP Blackwaters on the back instead of the turd tamer stock tires. I haven't needed to run chains yet and haven't been stuck with it either. Last year I got stuck so often most of the time I ended up just using a shovel instead of messing with the tractor!

smokinjay said:
Wow Life is looking like a lot of FUN!

It was tough running back in the woods today. Might shut it down (going back in the woods) for one or two weeks, have some trees around the house I can take care of.

I'll make my decision once we see how much ------g snow we get. Have a nice dead standing sugar maple plus some blow down cherry.

Zap

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

When do you think you'll start the pole barn?

Zap
Sometime this summer, May at the earliest. I have to deal with the township around here to get all their approvals and of course give them a piece. It will probably give them another excuse to raise my taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.