Ribeye in the stove! Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
These are the best steak-in-stove pics I've ever seen. So tell me, do you establish a deep bed of coals, flatten them out and preheat the pan on coals until it is glowing, then add steak? We don't pan fry steak so this is weird but I assume you must flip the steak at some point to sear the back side. Does the steak end up boiling in its juices or does it fry in a pretty dry pan.

I gotta say Jake, I would not have bought that particular steak but intstead looked for one with more meat like Backwoods found.

No need for the pan to be glowing. Since the heat of the pan isn't as controllable as it is on a stove top and the thickeness of the steak can obviously vary, I recommend a thermometer to help you tell when to pull it.

I pull mine at 125 degrees and let them rest for a few minutes. That gives me a good med-rare.

Also, allow your steaks to warm up for 1/2 - 3/4 hour on the counter top first.

Also, with ribeyes they have enough fat that I simply salt and pepper them then put them in. NY Strips can be a bit on the lean side and may need oil if you want to do them in the cast pan. But, put the oil on the meat, not in the pan.

When the steak is resting, I'll pull the pan off the heat but when still good and warm, add some brandy or cognac or even beef stock to the pan (becareful, it can flame up!) then a good dollop of cold butter and stir in for some steak sauce over the steaks.

pen

My mouth is watering now pen....dammit..
I don't care if it is Ash Wednesday......think I will have steak tonite....
I am going to hell in a handbasket as it is anyways.... :smirk: :lol:

Pen, its called deglazing the pan :lol: Sounds like you know what your talking about. Do I see a northeastern pennsylvanian cook off this summer with a side of fishing????

Backwoods said:
Pen, its called deglazing the pan :lol: Sounds like you know what your talking about. Do I see a northeastern pennsylvanian cook off this summer with a side of fishing????

Yah you gotta get those browned bits outta there,liquid of some sorts to reduce down & mix with them to make a sauce.

I tried blackberry or cherry brandy a couple times when I was out of Cognac & was too cheap to buy it.Turns out I like the flavor even better.Any Sherry is excellent also,that's always around cause I'm making French Onion Soup every couple months or so.

One of my favs is Steak Au Poivre,though I dont think it'd work too well inside any stove - whether wood,gas or electric.You need to be able to stir it a few times & stay with it so the crust forms.On top of the stove is best for that.

Thistle said:
I tried blackberry or cherry brandy a couple times when I was out of Cognac & was too cheap to buy it.Turns out I like the flavor even better.

Jezynowka is a staple around my house. Not sure why I never thought to try it. Thanks

pen

I vote for a NEPA cookoff this summer.....pen vs Backwoods.....could be interesting...
If not I can make it interesting.....who's got some cash?
:coolsmile:

Backwoods said:
Nice Jake!!!!! How was the fat on the edge??? Didi you get it crispy enough while maintaining a pink center??? It was like glorified bacon I tell Ya. Nice pics. I may have to make another special run to the foodstore for some more. ;-)

Some was crispy . . . some was still soft . . . it was all good. I was so sorely tempted to eat the second one that I made for my wife, but I resisted. Last night I was lazy and grilled another rib eye up on the propane grill . . . didn't even come close to being as tasty.

We're doing our bi-weekly shopping trip this weekend . . . I may have to pick up some more rib eyes or chuck eyes.

Highbeam said:
These are the best steak-in-stove pics I've ever seen. So tell me, do you establish a deep bed of coals, flatten them out and preheat the pan on coals until it is glowing, then add steak? We don't pan fry steak so this is weird but I assume you must flip the steak at some point to sear the back side. Does the steak end up boiling in its juices or does it fry in a pretty dry pan.

I gotta say Jake, I would not have bought that particular steak but intstead looked for one with more meat like Backwoods found.

Since it was a cold start I made a small fire with small splits and waited for it to reach the coaling stage . . . then I flattened them out and just put the cast iron pan on top of the coals and shut the door. In 3 or 4 minutes I opened it up and flipped it over for another couple of minutes. It actually came out a little more well done than I like with just a hint of pink in the middle . . . but it was definitely one of the more succulent steaks even though it was more to the well done side than medium well . . . I think the high heat held in the juices. I used some olive oil to keep things from sticking.

I just went to the local store and bought the cheapest rib eyes I could find . . . would have bought chuck eye . . . but they were out.

Backwoods said:
I had a bed of coals, went out and split some hickory into small pieces, let them ignite, turned down the air, and put the pan in, in 2 minutes, I rubbed salt & pepper on the steaks and a dab of olive oil, placed into the pan, only needed maybe 3 minutes, flipped steak, another 3 minutes, and it was a perfect medium steak. Wear super hand protection when removing pan, it will burn through any oven mitt in seconds.

+1 abou the hand protection . . . I originally went to use my standard welding gloves and quickly shifted over to using my very well insulated stove gloves as the handle gets wicked hot.

Besides welding gloves and standard oven mitts, what do you folks use for hand protection? I don't know if I have anything better than a thick oven mitt.

Highbeam said:
Besides welding gloves and standard oven mitts, what do you folks use for hand protection? I don't know if I have anything better than a thick oven mitt.

Even nomex and kevlar gloves (like the "ove glove") are only good to about 500 degrees. I usually wear one ove glove (the best looking one) and use the old nasty look one like a potholder in that same hand. It may get a little scorched, but it's old and I stay burn free.

pen

Highbeam said:

Insulated welding/stove gloves . . . has a liner in it . . . but even that got warm within a few minutes.

Backwoods, that looks awesome!!!!!!
I haven't cooked in the stove yet this winter.
Got some sirloins in the freezer...might have to thaw those out tonight!!:)
and the genuine draft.....mouth watering!

chuck

Evaluator guy said:
Backwoods, that looks awesome!!!!!!
I haven't cooked in the stove yet this winter.
Got some sirloins in the freezer...might have to thaw those out tonight!!:)
and the genuine draft.....mouth watering!

chuck

Get the pan good and hot, will not take long at all. If any fat along edge of the steak, sit it along the side of the pan, they will crisp up and taste better than bacon. Oh yea... Maybe post pics! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.