Rice Husk Pellets ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug

Nov 15, 2011
northern Michigan
This started off as a joke that I attempted to make in a thread about Chinese pellet stoves. But, it turns out that rice pellets already actually exist. Has anyone had access to them or tried them ? Are they in our future ? A lot of rice that is grown in this country is exported, so there is probably a lot of rice by-products used as animal feed that could be made into pellets.

bill3rail said:
Waterbug said:
No replies in 24 hours. Guess there's no interest. Here is a link to a Vietnamese exporter. From what I can tell, the quality is poor but who knows if it could be improved.

http://www.vikaco.com/en/export-rice-husk-pellet/146-rice-husk-pellet-vietnam.html

Ash content is way too high!
Maybe an industrial boiler will handle the ash content, but not a stove.

Bill

One of the self cleaning multi-fuel units might be able to handle it but it had better have a large ash pan.

Most other stoves would choke on it in short order.

At 12% ash content? Heck no, I wouldn't be interested(unless they are dang near free!). I can get grass pellets with a tick over 3% ash content from a local guy. About 4X less ash equals 4 times longer runs between cleaning. No need to import and locally grown!

There are several options that have far less ash. Even pellets made from fall leaves has less than 4% ash content. Besides wood pellets, The best I have found is corn. But corn is too pricey. Right now the best option is cheap wood pellets for our multiufuelers. Even a bad batch has less than 1% ash content. With oil on the rise again and wood pellets to follow. Its good to know your options, But multifuels are still in there infancy in the New England region. Grass pellets are cheaper than wood pellets, But much more work so its probably a wash. Corn and grains are much more expensive than wood pellets, So not an option these days. We're kind of stuck with cheap wood pellets until things change.

What would be cool for the new england multifuelers is tripping over something like what snowy has found with the nutshells. A waste product with little value and cheap to get. Who cares if they burn dirty if your stealing them.

j-takeman said:
At 12% ash content? Heck no, I wouldn't be interested(unless they are dang near free!). I can get grass pellets with a tick over 3% ash content from a local guy. About 4X less ash equals 4 times longer runs between cleaning. No need to import and locally grown!

There are several options that have far less ash. Even pellets made from fall leaves has less than 4% ash content. Besides wood pellets, The best I have found is corn. But corn is too pricey. Right now the best option is cheap wood pellets for our multiufuelers. Even a bad batch has less than 1% ash content. With oil on the rise again and wood pellets to follow. Its good to know your options, But multifuels are still in there infancy in the New England region. Grass pellets are cheaper than wood pellets, But much more work so its probably a wash. Corn and grains are much more expensive than wood pellets, So not an option these days. We're kind of stuck with cheap wood pellets until things change.

What would be cool for the new england multifuelers is tripping over something like what snowy has found with the nutshells. A waste product with little value and cheap to get. Who cares if they burn dirty if your stealing them.

I've tried a few acorns, just throwin' 'em in the burnpot. Don't seem to burn real good, but moisture was probably pretty high, I just picked 'em up out in the yard. Might be able to build a acorn crusher and drying rack, way more time, money and effort than I'm willing to spend. Big thing I see about the multifuel units is they seem able to burn lower grade pellets with little or no problem

hossthehermit said:
j-takeman said:

I've tried a few acorns, just throwin' 'em in the burnpot. Don't seem to burn real good, but moisture was probably pretty high, I just picked 'em up out in the yard. Might be able to build a acorn crusher and drying rack, way more time, money and effort than I'm willing to spend. Big thing I see about the multifuel units is they seem able to burn lower grade pellets with little or no problem

Hoss, you better watch out! If the squirrels find out you've been stealing their nuts... LOL

Attachments

• Funny-Squirrels-Funny-Squirrel-Picture-04-FunnyPica.com_.jpg
    Funny-Squirrels-Funny-Squirrel-Picture-04-FunnyPica.com_.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 424
Status
Not open for further replies.