Rider Mowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Been looking at some used rider mowers, I need to try and reduce the time I'm spending cutting my grass so I can actually have the time to cut the grass on a more regular basis. I have a few options and wanted to see if anyone here can venture an opinion.

Current mower is a simple 21" 6.25hp push mower. Works well enough, starts on the first pull every time...basically a great machine, but it takes 2 hr+ to mow the lawn.

- I can go rider or walk behind. I have no preference, but it needs to be self propelled.
- I need a bigger deck, at least 30", but if I cna get to 40+" then I can cut my time almost in half.
- Want a good mower. Ariens, Cub Cadet, Snapper? What do you guys like? Reliability is key, I'm not afraid of doing regular maintenance on a tool if it works hard for me.

Saw this one...very intrigued by this. Looks like it could be a good move, I think its a hydrostatic mower if it has a 1 speed tranny and foot pedal operated speed.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/1202628159.html

I have recently discovered that my new to me Ariens SY824 snowblower is actualyl an 8HP 2wd tractor with a PTO that runs a blower attachment. Way back in the day Ariens made a whole line of attachments called Trac-Team which included a snow thrower, reel mower, conventional circular mower, chipper, shredder, lawn vacuum and even a rotary brush sweeper. This series of equipment has been out of production for some 20+ years now, but my blower is one of the series that can run those attachments. Craigslist has a 30" mower attachemnt for $150 about an hour away, wondering if anyone has any direct experience with these products and if they're worth my time or just didn't work all that well. A new set of turf tires and clean it up and the Ariens could maybe do what I need to do...could also reduce the overall clutter of equipment by using the power head for more than one purpose.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I love my 30 year old JD front mow. The old mower decks are built like they build brush hogs today. How much do you mow? With the 5 foot deck, I knock down my acre and a half in half an hour or so.

My rider has a 38" deck and is about the smallest I've seen on a rider. It is a JD mower from the early 80s that I bought used a couple of years ago. It has a hydrostatic tranny which is great to use but is a major weakness and I would rather have a clutched model. The engine smokes but always starts and runs.

If it takes 2 hours with a walk behind then you will want a rider. It is much easier to find a used mower without a bagger so your choice not to bag will help you get a better mower.

Get a JD that wasn't from a hardware store. Parts are very available and cheap.

Oh I have never seen a normal walk behind with anything close to a 30" deck. I take more than 2 hours with a rider and my next mower will have a bagger. Looking at a bigger deck.

I never use the bagger I have so I don't need one now. I reason that if I can stay on top of the grass length that I won't need to be concerned with clippings and really would only find a bagger useful in the fall when its leaf pickup season.

I mow about an acre give or take. Its not a big flat field so its difficult to measure. Over time I'm planning on pushing the lawn outwards another 25-50 feet from the back of the house to keep the trees from dropping on the roof (a year or so of future firewood there), so my mowing area will only increase over time.

Forgot to keep JD on my list.

Highbeam, why do you think the hydo is a weakness?

I saw a simplicity front deck for sale a few weeks ago, full hydro, rear wheel steer I think too. Looked interesting.

This one is similar, but has a smaller deck and the other one had the whole rear end boxed in where this one has a tiny dump body.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/1213032028.html

So many choices.

been running a jd hydro for 2 years now no issue at all its a 135 limit edition 46 in. deck mowing 2 acers (I put fertilizer on it 5 times a year) so mowing on a 5-6 day rotion around 32 cuts a year. plows the small driveway and carts 10 cords of wood a year

I had an old wards murrey that I got new in 1991 that gave up last year and I was looking for something that would last me. I went and got a used 1990 JD 318 for the price of a new box store rider. This thing cost 6000 new in 1990 and It is built like a tank, has a 50" deck, power steering and a transmission that is big enough it could have come from a full size pickup. I talked with my wife's farmer parents and uncle and they said get an old deere and it should last the rest of your life. The new box store deeres are not the same. The new x series ones are built like the old ones but are 10,000+. Find a used 318 that doesn't smoke and is in good shape with under 1500 hours and you will be happy.

I love HST for mowing and I have an HST tranny on my tractor. The mower's HST gets hot and stops providing power to the wheels after about 0.5 acres on a hot day. I know the belt isn't slipping because I can actually get hydro fluid to burp out of the trans when it overheats. These things are sealed units and even the JD dealer doesn't know what fluid to put in it. The trans is the only part that is not easy to replace so you want that to be pretty bulletproof and I just haven't had good luck with this one HST. That said, I can let it cool for an hour and it works like new.

On bagging: On my good growing and reasonably short lawn I have found that the clippings will not decompose fast enough to prevent the lawn from becoming a big pile of brown grass clippings. Basicly I keep remowing the clippings and they just turn into a blanket of brownness. Under that blanket is nice green grass. This is not cool. My next mower will have a bagger.

I mow about 2/3 acre every 3-4 days and would love to have a 46" deck.

Highbeam said:
On bagging: On my good growing and reasonably short lawn I have found that the clippings will not decompose fast enough to prevent the lawn from becoming a big pile of brown grass clippings. Basicly I keep remowing the clippings and they just turn into a blanket of brownness. Under that blanket is nice green grass. This is not cool. My next mower will have a bagger.

Have you tried mulching blades? If you are mowing that often, they should be able to keep up. Otherwise, my trick is to mow into the middle of the yard and use a lawn sweeper to pick them up to use around the plants in the garden. I've been watching for a bagger for a long time time with no luck.

I have a 07 SLT1554 cub cadet with a 54" deck. It has a 27hp engine and will whip an acre of grass in no time at all. It runs well and has cruise control and hydrostatic tranny. I just have to say it is the most comfortable machine i have used. Been a great machine, price 2,300

:lol:
Deffy said:
i have the $950.00 mtd home depot special. 7 speed manual, 42" deck, nothing special. it mows the lawn nicely, has been for 3 years. my brother has the same one, mowing nicely for 12 yrs with only 1 tune up at year 8.

i mow about an acre once a week. i also tow a lawn sweeper, and in the winter i tow wood pellets from the garage to the house on a pallet i stuck wheels on. you will have to modify it to mow backwards, theres an annoying safety switch that cuts the engine if you try to reverse with the mower engaged. easy fix tho.

if all you're gonna do is mow and some light towing attachments, you dont need the $3000 25 hp auto transmission wheelie doing mower.

You may not need it but life is no fun without the toy!!!! Really, you can split by hand but a nice splitter cuts the work in half. As far as the old aeirens, most of the old stuff was great. I am a simplicity guy but they are up there back in the day,.,,,,

Driz said:
Aw mow it with a farm tractor like I do. 5' cut and 2 acres done in half an hour. Also hauls wood, pulls cars and trucks out of ditches, plows snow and brush hogs the burdocks. Ferguson TO-20 1950

There is a time to pull out the big guns.

Attachments

• smow.JPG
    smow.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 479
Highbeam said:
Driz said:
Aw mow it with a farm tractor like I do. 5' cut and 2 acres done in half an hour. Also hauls wood, pulls cars and trucks out of ditches, plows snow and brush hogs the burdocks. Ferguson TO-20 1950

wind row it and bail!

mayhem said:
I saw a simplicity front deck for sale a few weeks ago, full hydro, rear wheel steer I think too. Looked interesting.

The old simplicity (allis chalmers) hydros were bullet proof. The transmission was made by Sunstrands and I have personally beat the crap out of mine (its a 1976 vintage). Don't rule out an old allis lawn tractor. You can pick up some good used ones pretty cheap. Smallest deck was a 42" version.

Not mine, but the same thing: And yeah, I got the tiller, snow plow and deck for it too. I actually have two of them, but one I keep chains and no deck on it. It is my mule and moves all my stuff around (trailer, boat, wood wagon, splitter, vehicles, you name it)

Attachments

• jh_716htill_sm.jpg
    jh_716htill_sm.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 480
smokinj said:
Highbeam said:
Driz said:

wind row it and bail!

Oh the thought crossed my mind a few times but the old lady would have made my life a living hell.

Safe assumption that if I find a hydro mower with a blown hydro motor (or whatever the correct terminology is) that I don't want anything to do with it?

Oh my, this looks legitimately promising. Someone please tell me whats wrong with htis mower.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scag-Zero-Turn-Super-Z-52-Commercial-Rider-Ready-To-Go_W0QQitemZ260428147655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca2ba2bc7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:15|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:3|294:50

2 hour drive in my truck.

mayhem said:
Safe assumption that if I find a hydro mower with a blown hydro motor (or whatever the correct terminology is) that I don't want anything to do with it?

Oh my, this looks legitimately promising. Someone please tell me whats wrong with htis mower.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scag-Zero-Turn-Super-Z-52-Commercial-Rider-Ready-To-Go_W0QQitemZ260428147655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca2ba2bc7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:15|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:3|294:50

I would suggest that you walk away from a hydro with a blown hydro motor. Depending on brand, they can get pretty pricey.

At 635 bucks---I would own that scag.

Jags said:
mayhem said:

I would suggest that you walk away from a hydro with a blown hydro motor. Depending on brand, they can get pretty pricey.

At 635 bucks---I would own that scag.
+1 on the scag!

$810 and climbing with 4 days left to bid. Damn nice mower though.

Deffy said:
for $810 you can get a brand new one at home depot, or lowes - which doesnt smoke & never had the engine replaced like the one on ebay.

You can't buy any rider at HD or Lowes for 810$. Lowest price I saw was just under 1000$ for a low end rider at Sears.

Highbeam said:
Deffy said:
for $810 you can get a brand new one at home depot, or lowes - which doesnt smoke & never had the engine replaced like the one on ebay.

You can't buy any rider at HD or Lowes for 810$. Lowest price I saw was just under 1000$ for a low end rider at Sears.

Not to mention a zero turn, industrial scag.

Highbeam said:
My rider has a 38" deck and is about the smallest I've seen on a rider. It is a JD mower from the early 80s that I bought used a couple of years ago. It has a hydrostatic tranny which is great to use but is a major weakness and I would rather have a clutched model. The engine smokes but always starts and runs.

If it takes 2 hours with a walk behind then you will want a rider. It is much easier to find a used mower without a bagger so your choice not to bag will help you get a better mower.

Get a JD that wasn't from a hardware store. Parts are very available and cheap.

Oh I have never seen a normal walk behind with anything close to a 30" deck. I take more than 2 hours with a rider and my next mower will have a bagger. Looking at a bigger deck.

i had a rare front engine snapper with a 30 inch single blade rider , 9 hp engine. lasted about 6 years got second hand from my dad when he got a newer one , i dunno how long he had it , was a good mower, currently have a bolens with a 42 inch deck 2 blade got from lowes for 730 bucks 3 years ago, love it

Jags, I have a 18gth-l which is the same tractor with a kt-17 kohler. I have a 42 inch blower, 46 inch blade, 36 inch tiller, 48 inch deck, and a snow cab. I love mine and have towed 1.5 ton of block around and uphill in the yard. My vote is for the soveriegn type tractors. That being said I am on the prowl for a b7500 or b7600 with the wider deck and a 3 point that can lift pallets of firewood. I am stacking and restacking firewood too much. That and a bucket would really be helpfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.