1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ridged foam

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by livefreeordie, Dec 23, 2010.

1. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    We use the basement to wash/dry cloths plus we have an office there but it doesn't get used much in the winter. The ceiling has R15 fiberglass bats with a paper vapor barrier facing up. There is a source of heat but it doesn't come on since the pellet stove was installed.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Definitely going to do the ban joists, I hate to spend the money on foam if we don't use the basement much but the wife sure would be happy. A happy wife makes for a stress free life,lol At $10 a sheet i can buy lots of pellets with that money, will see what she wants to do this weekend.
  3. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    So you basically have a crawl space except its high enough to walk in?

If so, the same site I linked to earlier in this thread at construction science corp has some pretty good information on finishing out crawlspaces to control moisture and heat loss.
  4. esuitt

esuitt New Member

Loc:
    Delta, Pa (amish country) right on the Mason Dixon
    No, we have a full basement. I do not consider it a crawl space since we it is the full length of the house, has the h/w heater, oil tank, furnace and the electric service plus we can walk in it. We do have a small crawl space under the kitchen with pink insulation in between the floor joices. That floor/ room is the coldest of the 1st floor rooms.
  5. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Well we picked up some 1" foam this week and will start the install this weekend, i will post some pictures and let you guys know how it went.
  6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Great. I'm getting ready to do this soon. I'll be interested to see if you have any problems getting the foam panels to stick flush with the wall so that no air space exists.
  7. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    I did learn that there is a special adhesive for the rigid foam, just an fyi.
  8. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    As did I. Locktite sells it under their "PL" label, about $3.53 per tube locally BTW. I have just read of others having some difficulty holding the foam in close contact with the wall while the glue dried.
  9. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    I thought about that, i guess i will have to use some 2x4's to prop the foam in place until the glue dries or see how long my wife will stand there and hold it :)
  10. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Yeah, I never figured out a way to prop them in place, although they'll stick there after a little while of holding.
    If the 2x4 was temporarily attached to the floor joist above, the lower end could be held in place by some kind of weight
  11. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I've even entertained the idea of using a vacuum pump that I have to do this. I was thinking that I could run a nice bead of the glue around the outer edge of the panel (between the wall and panel) to create a seal and then draw a vacuum through a hole in the center of the panel. Of course I'd also need glue spread elsewhere for adhesion. I'm guessing chances of success doing it this way are pretty low though. Ether the glue would block the air flow or I'd never get a good seal. I may try it anyway just to appease my curiosity. If it did work it would make things easy.
  12. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Call me cheap but i won't spend the money on electricty while the glue dries. i have enough stuff in the basement to hold the foam in place until it dries.
  13. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Update, i installed four 1x2x7 sheets of foam using loctite pl300 foamboard adhesive and titedond foamboard adh. to my suprise i did not have to prop anything against the foam to hold them in place.
  14. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Well 26 sheets of 1x2x7 and eight tubes of glue later the basement is done. Now we will see if the temp stays warner.
  15. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Thanks for the update. I was wondering how much glue I would need.
  16. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Because my walls are poured in four foot sections they are not perfectly flush so i had to use more glue than i wanted. I used eight evenly spaced large blobs of glue which seemed to work the best for me..Its been 24 hours and i can feel the difference in the temp, well worth the money i think.
  17. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Nice work - did you do just the walls or the floor too?
  18. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Just the walls, its been cold the last couple of nights and the temp has held steady at 56 with no heat source so i would say its doing its job very well.
  19. EJL923

EJL923 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Mass
  20. livefreeordie

livefreeordie Member

Loc:
    Rochester, NH
    Saw that vid. very good info thanks
  21. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc: